Paging Michael Johnson

Do you have any links to dyno curves for the modded Cobra/Lightning engines? Looking for HP and torque and general "under the curve" specs. Nothing too outrageous, just the guy's that change injectors and do easy mods.

Al

9.02 @ 153 MPH OT door car
Reply to
Big Al

Which engines? The OHC ones, push rod and/or supercharged?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Sorry, the newere Cobra DOHC supercharged. You told me they were getting great numbers and living.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The most popular and easiest high hp mod for the blown Cobras and Lightnings are the Kenne Bell twin screw blower kits. Here are some links and the numbers they show on the graphs are good and realistic:

You should see what they are getting from the turbocharged 4.6L Cobra engines without even taking off the valve covers. The blown 4.6L engines are one of the strongest V-8s EVER to come from Detroit, IMO.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Al

Reply to
Big Al

If this doesn't do it for you nothing will. It is a turbo kit that mounts in front of the stock Eaton blower on a stock Terminator engine. Here is an excerpt from the article:

"The kit featured here is universal and can be used with a supercharger or without it-the difference will be in the turbocharger sizing to fit different applications. The piping and turbo mounting is universal in all systems and mod-motor applications. For those brave enough and in need of the excess, check out the turbo/ supercharger system. It will not disappoint your appetite for ridiculous power levels. We watched this setup throw out a certifiably insane 1,188 rwhp and an even more impressive 1,015 rwtq-through a stock engine including the factory cast-iron exhaust manifolds."

If 1,188 RWHP and 1,015 rwtq isn't enough to prove the point then NOTHING will. Here's a link to the full article:

Michael Johnson

gosh, I drive around town an typically use less than 150 HP, take off sometimes using 320 HP, but 1,200 HP is totally undrivable except on a stright track. Think of it in terms of the gas petal travel, 1/4 the way in is 300HP, and the back wheels would be spinning out.

Reply to
Namehere

They talk about the problems they had keeping the wheels from spinning on the dyno drum. Driving that car on public streets isn't for the faint of heart or anyone with restless leg syndrome. The fact that a stock Terminator engine can do several dyno pulls making well over 1,000 rwhp shows just how strong that engine was built and how much performance potential Ford left untapped with it. We may never see another one like it in our lifetimes.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:9rGdnWSymLEtucrVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Looks like quite a fun ride, but I have to wonder how durable it really is. I'd like to see that car in 6 months or so...

Reply to
Joe

I'm impressed a stock engine can make several dyno runs at that power level and survive at all. I'm sure something will eventually break on it but that setup is a testament to the strength of that engine. It is built like a brick shit house.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

And I would like to see some milder stuff. Like a hopped up 3 valve. HINT!

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Google is your friend.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:MeudnQcFA8oKisXVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

True, but pure logic begs questioning the reliability of such a setup. As an engineer, I'm sure you know what I mean. :)

Granted, that motor is built extremely well. But there is a balance between power levels and reliability. It would be interesting to see that graph.

Reply to
Joe

I think that setup might last longer than expected. Other parts of the drive train would like fail before the engine. Plus if the wheels spin then much of the strain is off the engine and other parts. The truth is, I don't think it is known just where the breaking point is for that motor.

I don't see that car serving as a daily driver. Besides, that much power is unusable on the street so the engine would likely never be stressed driving around town. As I said above, I don't think the graph has been drawn yet for that engine. I can't think of another production engine that can deliver the hp/litre it can with stock parts.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Googled and found some dyno sheets. Most are from cars running nitrous setups or superchargers. Would be neat to see some "tweeked" stock 3 valve sheets.

I'm at the drags a lot, most of the 4.6's I see can't get out of their own way. I'd like to see some good running stock examples. Last Friday night some guys I know took two Mustangs to the drags. One of them broke into the

15's, one time. 15.9, all other runs from both cars were in the 16's. Both complained about traction. Our strip is very sticky. If you walk out there your shoes stick to the track. Have to wonder of it's somehow the wrong setup for street tires?? Something else, I have an 03 5 speed Mustang and an 02 Z28. The Z28 can put lots of HP down without squeaking the tires. The Mustang can't. My 87 and 89 5.0's were the same. You had to play with the throttle to keep them from going up in smoke. My Z has much more power and you can open it wide with no problems. The Z has that long bar going to the rear transmission mount to control axle wrap. That or something makes the difference.

There is a Corvette club here that has outings at the strip. They are pathetic. Most run in the 16's or high 15's. No way can I figure why. They should run better than that in drive with an easy launch.

Off the subject. There is an automatic 96 GT convertible for sale here with engine problems. Looks like a Premium, leather seats and so on. Guy wants $1,000 for it. It's rough, looks like a bunch of people sat on the hood, but?? So what would a decent 4.6 cost?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

[...]

Dan wrote:

It is also a testament to the 4.6L engine, in general. Ford designed the block of the 4.6L from the ground up to hand a ton of horsepower. A garden variety Mustang GT engine block (iron) with the Terminator pistons, rods and crank would easily handle 600-700 hp. I like the old

302s but the 4.6Ls will eat its lunch as far as strength is concerned.
Reply to
Michael Johnson

Sorry I can't answer your questions directly, but I was at a Fun Ford Sunday at Knotts Berry Farm in Orange County in April and there was a ton of the S-197 3-valve Stangs there. So there is some interest in tweaking these cars. Many were sporting aftermarket blowers, and there were also quite a few Shelby GT500s. So I would check if there are any Fun Ford Sundays in your neighborhood and if so go check it out.

Laurie S. was at this show too, and she mentioned that Jim Smart is writing a book on the mod motors. Maybe she could give you a connection to Jim Smart and he could give you a connection to some answers. Laurie S. was there too

One more idea would be the S-197 forums on Stangnet:

HTH

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

/6o28aq- Hide quoted text -

Hellion's in my town (or close enough) :)? I watched those guys work on the test mules and watched a few of the dyno pulls; my buddy owns the dynamometer. That is an awesome setup for sure :).

Dan P49Y83+

Reply to
Dan

The combo power adder cars made several pulls at least. However, there were several big power turbo SVT Cobras here in the high southwest. A few not only made literally dozens of dyno pulls each but they also each ran dozens of times down the quarter mile. These were cars putting down 700 to 1100 rwhp without correction. Most of those cars have lost their motors over the last five years but that was after truly severe abuse. At least one of the highest powered cars was still running as of several months ago, the last time I came into contact with them.

I agree, Ford did good with this motor :).

Dan P49Y83+

Reply to
Dan