Paint Protection for cross-country open carrier transport

Hey all, I'm looking for a way to protect the paint on my 1970 convertible as it makes its way on an open carrier from PA to Oakland, CA. I would love to get Rapguard, the stuff that you see on new cars, but I can't find anywhere where it's sold. I just called Star Shield Armor, which makes "invisible" kits, but they don't do old Mustangs. Anyone have any ideas? The carrier does not allow car covers, and anyway I imagine a car cover flapping around for around 3,000 miles would do more harm than good. The paint job is NOT showroom quality, but it's still decent. The car is getting picked up in about a week, so send any ideas you have soon! I worked on this car in high school and now at 30 I finally get to (start) finishing the job. Great to be back in the Mustang fold!

Thanks in advance for any ideas, Joe

Reply to
Joe B

It's probably a huge stretch but contact one of those vinyl car wrap advertisers...tell them you'll be taking your car across country...3000 miles in just a few days...tell them that would be great exposure for their product....that it will reach a wide and varied demographic of the road going public (even if it really won't) ...Tell them that you'll be showing their product to people who otherwise would have nothing to look at than the endless ribbon of concrete and asphalt...that their signage would surely leave a lasting impression....like an ad for an airline telling them that if they flew...'You'd be there by now'...

Damn...sorry about that, I kinda rambled.

Anyway...just a thought. Maybe you'll get to recoup your transport costs.

Reply to
Dinsdale

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

You might check with a marine dealership and see if they'll shrink wrap it for you. It's fairly tough stuff, it's common enough with boats of all sizes, and they might give you a good deal since a car is fairly small compared to a boat.

Though, on second thought, it *might* be hard to drive onto the carrier with all the doors and windows completely covered. ;)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

If it's being hauled in an open, stacked carrier, I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing that can possibly damage it is hail. If you have it hauled on the lower track, that can't happen either.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

Get one of those gian rolls of seran wrap, and some bubble wrap. Sounds stupid, I know. But it should work.

Reply to
boB

Reply to
Rick Olive

A boat shrinkwrap is a great idea, however it might be hard for them to do it and still allow the door to open, etc so they can get it on and off the trailer..

Although, you may have the whole car wrapped, and then just use a razor blade to cut along the driver's door seam so it can open, and then tape it back or something..

But, as others have said... probably best to just not worry about it, and go with the flow..

Or you could always opt to have it shipped in an enclosed carrier (more $$$)

good luck with it.

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum