Parking brake adjustment on 87 GT

I changed the rear pads on my 87 GT last week but the parking brake handle still pulls all the way up and doesn't hold the car too well. I looked under the car but couldn't see any adjustment. Is there any way to adjust the cable? Are the cables stretched out and need to be replaced? If the cables do need to be replaced, is it an easy job? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help, Dave

Reply to
David Earle

I'm going to assume that they still make parking brake cable tensioners. Small devise that attached to the cable which allowed you to take out excess slack. Auto parts stores should have them.

Reply to
Richard

The E-brake tensioners use a spring loaded adjuster to keep tension on the cables. The rear brake shoes should be adjusted so they just start to drag on the rear drums. There is an adjuster at the bottom center of the rear brake assembly, turn it outward to adjust. By adjusting the brake shoe to drum clearance not only will your rear brakes work better but your E-brake will also function correctly.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy