Parking Brake in-dash light

Whether the parking brake is in use or not the light will be illuminated.. sometimes dimmed slightly.. sometimes completely off. It's not functioning the way it's supposed to (the light I mean, the brake itself is working great)... like if I use the parking brake the light should go on.. sometimes it does & when I release the brake it doesn't go off =). Any ideas as to what this problem could be? Thanks, folks.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

First thing I would check is the brake fluid level. The parking brake light also acts as a warning light for low brake fluid. Mine would come on and off randomly, sometime when I was accelerating, sometimes when I was braking. First it did it rarely, then it did it more and more. After asking a gear=head friend about what would cause it, I got a slap-upside the head and a "check the

*radio edit* brake fluid!" Sure enough, it was low. Filled it, and no more brake light problems.

Now if I could just figure out why it's doing it in my bro-in-laws '73 E-type. Both (that's BOTH) brake fluid res'es are filled. Most likely an electrical problem with those damn british cars.

--Larry

-------------------------------------------------------------------- It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper. -- Rod Serling

Reply to
Larry Dennis

The switch that monitors the brake is dying. You'll have to disassembly the console to get at it. It either needs replaced or put back on its mount, as they are known to become loose over the years, or the mounts bending/breaking..

It lives right behind the parking brake lever...

JS

Reply to
JS

LOL thanks JS & Larry.. the brake fluid res. is full so.. ya. JS, how hard is it to remove the console? I think Chiltons repair manual discusses how. Also, how much would a new switch run? Any idea? Is there any technical name for it? I hate going in to stores & asking for a "thingy". Thanks =)

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc