PATS

I posted before with a PATS problem with my 2006 Mustang. I mentioned that I had put a Saleen supercharger in the car and that the dealer was claiming that is what was causing my PATS problem

Update - I spent 5 days experimenting with the car in the Florida summer heat. I found that the PATS issue was indeed heat related - I could reproduce the PATS lockout by parking the car in a certain spot in the driveway, facing east, and by about 12:00 pm or 1:00 pm the car would not start due to PATS. I kept a thermometer in the car and the inside temperature was approximately 110 - 150 degrees F. I experimented with several heat-reducing ideas (such as a sunshade). While the sunshade did reduce the heat, it did not reduce it enough to keep the interior temperature from reaching 120 F.

Each day, when the internal temperature would reach 110 - 120 F, the car would be locked out by PATS and would not start. Then, in the evening and doing nothing more to fix the car than to wait until it cooled down, the car would start fine.

So, on the 5th day I decided to put the car back in the same spot and wait until PATS failed. It failed again by 1:00 pm. This time I tried disconnecting an aftermarket AFR gauge I had installed, in case my choice of circuits that I tied into somehow impacted the PATS circuit. I disconnected the AFR gauge and still the car would not start.

I then proceeded to remove the plastic covers (upper and lower) that surround the steering column to look at the PATS receiver. It turns out to be a very simple device. It is basically a plastic case that surrounds where the key goes (which is the copper antenna) and a small circuit board. A four-wire quick disconnect connector is the only connection. With the cover off I tried to start the car - nothing. I then simply wiggled the wire harness that connects to the PATS receiver. The car started right up. I removed the PATS receiver from the car and split the plastic case open to look at the internal circuitry. A small circuit board with a few chip components connected to a copper wire coil antenna.

I put the PATS cases back together and took it back out to the car. I connected it to the wire harness but did not put it back into position around the key. I wanted to see if it needed to be surrounding the ignition or if it could read the key in any position. With the PATS dangling by its connection I inserted the key and brought the PATS antenna close to the key fob (which is most likely where the passive RFID chip is located). The car would not start. I put the PATS receiver back in its proper position and the car started. Seems the PATS receiver must be in its proper position surrounding the ignition for it to work.

I did notice a rubber grommet which did not appear to be properly installed by virtue of the fact that one side of it had been improperly pressed together. I spent some time installing the rubber grommet directly around the plastic PATS antenna. With the grommet installed the PATS receiver fit much more snuggly into position than before. I suspect the grommet acts as a shock isolator for PATS as well as a thermal insulator. If so, it had not been properly installed. Time will tell.

Anyway, the car starts fine now and it is now a matter of time (and no more PATS lockouts) before I can feel confident that I solved the problem.

As I still suspect, this issue has nothing to do with the supercharger.

Reply to
brett

If *I* had this same situation I would tell the mechanic/service manager to please put that in writing along with the facts stating what part of the installation or what was done during the installation of the blower that would cause the PATS system to lock out at a certain time during the day. He needs to sign and date it, it needs to be signed and dated by the owner/pres/head business manager and make a second copy for your lawyer. If they keep pulling your leg after you mention the "L" word, take that document and talk with your regional satisfaction rep.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Excellent troubleshooting! A lot of those little RF things are not designed for large temperature variations, like -30 to + 180 F, and/or they use cheap parts that vary with temp. Dealer will blame the SC for everything.

Reply to
Mas Plak