"PATS" chipped Keys.....?

AZGuy wrote: Yet if anyone finds the

Famous last words.... :-P

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Professional key shops can do more these days than just cut a key. Some have the equipment to program them too.

Rein

True, Ya just neva know. In many many years no one has ever "found" my hidden keys and let themselves in but I've had them come in useful several times. And I carry insurance.....

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

The key is easy to come by, the programming is not. For security reasons, with a single available key, the computer must be interrogated, then new programming put in to replace the old. In other words, to avoid the possibility of the missing key turning up in the wrong hands and being used against your will, the old codes are deleted and new ones put in making the two keys you now have unique to that car.

Worth the bucks to do, and frankly the only way it can be done. You should be closer to $60 though for key and programming (1/2 hour charge).

Reply to
CarFan

Are these the same keys the system the '96's had? If so, my owners manual had a section on how you can program the new key. It involved put in a programmed key turning on, but not starting the car and then doing the same thing with the new key IIRC. I did it for one or two keys so I could keep the originals unworn.

That is _IF_ it is the same system.

Reply to
Morgan Bullard

Yes it's the same thing, however if you read in the book, it also says you need 2 programmed keys to program a 3rd.

I did it for one or

Reply to
KellyJ