Performance boost for 3.8 V6?

Just bought a 2000 Mustang convertible. My mechanic, an old hot-rodder, told me that after I installed a K&N high flow air filter, he would be able to "tweak" the computer for better performance. He also said it would "easier to do" because I've got the 5-speed manual transmission.

I'm not mechanic -- can anyone explain what he's talking about? Is it harder to "spoof" the computer if you have an automatic transmission? If so, why?

Also, are there any other performance tweaks that can be done to the V-6 engine? (I just installed the K&N air filter.)

Thanks!

Reply to
Jay Honeck

I have a 1999 V6 Vert. I installed underdrive pullies and dual exhaust (flomasters). It is a bit peppier now and sounds great. Most of the people in this group suggest rear end gears 4.10:1 for an auto or 3.73:1 for a 5 speed. I dont have the cash to do that yet but its on my wish list. Other speed goodies you can add are larger throttle body and mass air flow sensor. If I were you, I would wait till you do any other upgrades before you do the computer because the program can be tweaked to take into account things like mass air flow sensor and dual exhaust (and you need to change the computer if you change gear ratios to keep the speedometer accurate).

-Bart

Reply to
Bart Simpson

Thanks, Bart. The previous owner installed the dual exhaust already, too. :-)

It sounds like the rear end gearing and the throttle body are the two biggies left to do.

Reply to
Jay Honeck

You're not gonna get a whole lot of performance outta your V6 without lotsa cash. Since it is a 5-speed, first thing I'd do is get a Steeda Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0 shifter... both good quality, reputable short-throw shifters. Next, I'd tell myself that I wasted money buying a K&N filter & that the gains are absolutely minimal if even existant... then I'd get 3.73 gears. You

*probably* won't see much from a new MAF/TB/intake plenum... not without internal engine work as well. Shifter, gears, and beefed up suspension & you'll have a fun ass car though. I'm not sure what options are available for your car suspension-wise... shop around.

-Mike

98 Mustang GT Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Cold air intake w/ K&N air filter (doesn't do squat & I've got a V8) Hi-speed fan switch Steeda heavy duty rear sway bar (waiting before I install for GT Bullit suspension) Steeda subframe connectors (waiting before I install for GT Bullit suspension)

Reply to
<memset

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info.

The one thing I really, REALLY don't like about this car is the clutch. It's waaaay too long a travel. Is there any clutch adjustment or replacement that you would recommend?

I assume this is the shifter you're talking about?

Just curious: Why don't you recommend the K&N filter? My mechanic swears by them.

Reply to
Jay Honeck

There are clutch adjustment mechanisms... like Steeda's Firewall adjuster... as well as aftermarket clutch quadrants. Shop around...

As for the K&N filter.. some DO swear by them.. hell *I* use one, but I wouldn't if I could use a paper filter on my CAI (cold air intake).. sometimes oil gets on the very very delicate MAF sensor & requires cleaning or replacing the MAF (which is a $60 part around here remanufactured)... more than the filter itself & could potentially do it numerous times. You will see MAYBE 1-2hp gains IF that. To me, it's simply not worth the trouble. It's all marketing hype w/ K&N. I realize I'll probably get quite a bit of "oh you're full of shit" from other people for saying this, but that's life. Some ppl like K&N & K&N-style filters, some don't. Good luck w/ the car though... enjoy the piss outta it.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Oh and yes sorry.. that's the shifter I was talking about. Check eBay for better prices though. And don't get a used one unless you're SURE it comes w/ all of the new bolts, etc.. and instructions.

-Mike

transmission?

Reply to
<memset

Here is the test of all tests.

Put a brand new paper filter on. Drive the hell out of the car for 10 minutes.

Take off paper filter. Drive the hell out of the car for 10 minutes.

Other than the sound, do you notice any difference? No, you didnt.

Re-install a paper filter and get rid of the K&N Junk.

Carl

transmission?

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

The engine not being able to take advantage of a better flowing filter is not the fault of the filter and does not make it junk. K&N does not make a claim of more than a few horses on the V6 mustang. A K&N FIPK on the Cobra adds a dyno proven 30 hp, I wouldn't call that junk!

Reply to
WraithCobra

Right... huge difference between a blown Cobra & a V6 Mustang =).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset