Piece ... of ...

I recently again drove my brother-in-law's 97 SS Camaro after a few years, and while I would hate to tell him or his father this, it's an utter piece of shit. It now has 110,000 on it. I feel badly they still have a couple years left to pay off the note. They keep putting money into its ridiculously expensive sub-par reliability.

While the LT1 is enjoyable, the skip-shifting six-speed is wholly unnecessary and a pain, yeah, you can avoid skip shift, but... and I got

5th instead of 3rd twice (why skip shift? And why two overdrives? Oh, CAFE, can't spare this one from it), and the fit and finish is CRAP. Neither window works, one doorlock sort of works, the interior is falling apart, the doors are sagging, the seats are wearing out and are hard on your assbone, the cowl shake and flex is RIDICULOUS (t-tops I guess), and all the buttons, knobs, handles, vents etc. have just exhibited the same cheapness and premature wear I remember of a 1980 Crappalier.

The obscenely wide z-rated tires make it grip well, but they make the car handle like shit, to me... it jerkily follows every ripple, and its quick steering ratio makes correcting for this marvellous trait a twitchy, at times unnerving experience instead of a fun ride in a fast car. Pour it into a turn, and oh yeah you'll get some fun lateral G's, but I get the sense without some understanding of how to do so, you could snap-spin it and die with a tree up your ass easily. Those tires just start "scrubbing", and you know something violent would follow. I suppose some of this is just endemic to big gummy tires, but my God, is new, perfect asphalt supposed to appear in front of the car or something?

I haven't driven a newer Cobra, but I did tell him he should have bought that instead, knowing he'd just think because it was me. Even with z-rated gum tires, I can't imagine it being THAT bad.

Reply to
67RMOD
67RMOD opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@iwon.com:

rest of mustang owners' conventional wisdom deleted.

Everyone who gets complacent with their Mustang needs a reality check now and then.

as i posted on the corvette thread, i just drove my brother's cherry 81 vette and it made me long for ..

my SVO!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It has nothing to do with juvenile Ford vs. Chevy, Mustang vs. Camaro.

Good eng> 67RMOD opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@iwon.com:

Reply to
67RMOD

Funny you should mention that.... Just about every GM car I've been in, in the last 20 years reminds me of the '82 caviler my parent's had in some way. '82 was the first year of the cavalier btw.... real bad... my dad will never again buy GM because of that car. In late 1985/early 86 that car was traded in on a new mazda 626. My parents decided to keep the '75 maverick and dump the cavalier.

Reply to
Brent P

LMAO! I know, what is it with that? They're all similar to me in that way, except some years of GM trucks. I stand corrected, it was an 82 or thereabouts. I was sort of just picking an early 80s number, thinking of my friend's car, a total hunk of garbage. I got in the Camaro and thought, "well, the same basic crappy interior parts they've used since around then, apparently, sure -look- nicer in this one."

Reply to
67RMOD

I came really close to buying a new 2004 Cobra a few months ago. The deal was good and there was really nothing keeping me from doing it. I just wasn't in love with the car. The shifter was in the wrong place (too far forward), and it just didn't seem as fast as my 98. I finally took a look at my 98 Cobra and decided I liked it more than the new one. Plus it's paid for! I know the 04 has lots more power, but it didn't feel all that fast. I drove it for 20 miles, but I really didn't get into that hard - I don't need a ticket. I suppose once you get some rpm's on that motor it really screams.

Now I have always had my eye on the Corvettes and the 2005 is something else. I really would like to have one, but just think of the car payment on a $50,000 car... even with a big down payment, that's a chunk of change every month. At least it is for an ordinary K-Mart Shopper like me. The payment on a $40,000 loan at 6% for 5 years is $773.

Mort

Reply to
mortguffman

Brent P opined in news:TB05d.44703$wV.17266@attbi_s54:

We had an 82 for a short time... bro-in-law owed wife some money so he gave her his five yo Cav.

I had had an 82 Escort and the diff was quite obvious... and then i raised the hood and hated that car forthwith!

There was no way you could work on ANY thing in that car without dismantling a mile of Emissions tubing

My wife to this day holds it against me because after a few months the kid was driving it and got sideswiped by a drunk.

The problem was when she called to tell me about it, the first words out of my mouth were

"Is it totalled?"

So now whenever the subject comes up, I have to remind her that when later wrecks happened, I always asked if the kids were okay (each had at least one) and didnt worry about the cars. Even though they were Mustangs

THAT"S how much I hated that Cavalier! Oh... and that particular son will not even consider a GM car because of their interiors.

- - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - OTOH, Ford came REAL close to having the same rep... remember the interior door panels on the 79 and 80 Foxes?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
67RMOD
67RMOD opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@iwon.com:

No...I agree on your WHOLE point.. dont know where you got the idea I was arguing with you.

  1. Drove an 81 vette, made me long for my SVO
  2. If you've gotten complacent about your mustang.. a good reality check to make you appreciate it again is to drive the same era camabird
  3. Cavalier? 'nuff said!
Reply to
Backyard Mechanic
67RMOD opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@iwon.com:

Oh, I see... you took the term 'conventional wisdom deleted', as a negative.

it isnt ALWAYS, you know!

How about "common knowledge" then?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic