Ping?

This is no doubt a stupid question, but you have to start somewhere. What does ping sound like? How would I know if the car was "pinging"? This is a 351C 4V with modifications. Never fails to start at first turn of key and has plenty of power. The problem being, the timing is set at 15 BTDC which is too far considering 6 BTDC is factory recommended. Unless there is something wrong with the timing marks, what gives? I use 91 octane gas that may contain ethanol.

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

Did you disconnect the vacume advance before checking the timing?

Reply to
Brent P

Sound = if you had some marbles in a coffee can and shook it lightly. pining is detonation which can blow a hole in your piston, or sparkplug, not good so get out of it ASAP if you ever hear it. you only lose 4 HP per degree timing, set at 6 no pings OK.

Reply to
Hawk

Yes, both of them. It has a dual vacuum advance with one running through a TVS in the block. RPM is set to 500 per what I have read. I use an advance timing light and it seems to be working fine, the advance dial matches up. If I set the mark to 15 BTDC and then set the advance dial to 15, the mark moves back to TDC. There is a mark left by someone else at 10 BTDC. If I use that mark, the engine backfires. This could indicate timing is too far retarded.

The fuel/air mixture may be too rich but I believe I followed proper procedure. Turn both screws all the way in like it was a new installation. Turn out two full turns, start engine and set to 700 RPM. Turn one screw out 1/4 turn and reset RPM. Do this until turning out the screw has no effect on RPM. Turn the screw back in a smidge. Do same for other side.

This is not a stock Cleveland, but I don't know what would explain the advanced timing.

Reply to
goodnigh

Yes, sounds like a can of marbles for an instant when I jump on it. Thought is was rear end noise since I can't tell where the noise is coming from. Someone suggested a u-joint. I unlocked the distributor and turned it counter-clockwise about 3 degrees. The car is a smidge less responsive but the noise (ping) is gone. I could buy a new Mustang and hook it up to a computer, but where is the fun in that?

mike

Reply to
goodnigh