PING BILL S / Stu K - Steering Box/Carb/Sway bar IDs?

Hi Bill / Stu (and others),

Well, I've finally got the engine and gearbox out of the Stang (7 hours no less!) and am ready to order the parts that need replacing! I wanted to buy a steering box rebuild kit, and therefore need to know the dia. of the output shaft..... I assume this means the shaft that the steering wheel bolts to?..... If not, where am I supposed to be measuring? I have got a reading (with a digital mic.) of 0.7480" (not quite 3/4"). The size asked for should be either 1" or 1 1/8"!!! HELP!

Secondly, I've measured the front sway bar which is reading 0.8525" (between 27/32" and 55/64 where 7/8" would be 0.8750")! Do I order the bushings for 7/8" here?

Thirdly, back to the steering box, I've taken the number on the id tag attached to the 'correct' bolt (according to the Mustang Restoration Guide) and it reads as follows :

SMB A 6J22B

Any idea what this means? Is this the correct box for 7T03A123001? Car has power steering, power disc brakes and deluxe int....if that helps??

Lastly, I don't seem to be able to find the tag on the carb.... So I've looked around the flange where it mounts to the intake manifold, and I've found "66J" stamped into it. Any idea which carb is mounted here - I can't find the references in the book....

Thanks in advance...

Kevin

PS : HAPPY THANKSGIVING FOR TOMORROW!

Reply to
elmo

Got you're email and replied before I saw this. The output shaft is where the pitman or steering arm is attached to( the steering wheel is on the input shaft! As in the steering "input" from your hands and arms!!)

Go with the 7/8 bushings for the bar. These are rough forged chunks of metal and are thusly not machined to tiny tolerances!

I don't have the proper decode info for this but the power steering cars have different ratios than manual boxes so they do differ. I'll have to get a shop manual for my '67 one day so I'll have the info sooner or later. I do have a '68 manual on loan that I could get as they may be the same or similar to that year.

The tags are usually on the front float bowl attached by one screw. They are often broken off over time which leaves you kinda pooched. There are lots of carb shops on this side of the pond that could help get a kit for you if you brought them the carb. I doubt France will have too many like that though!

Reply to
Stuart&Janet