PING>>Jim Warman

Sorry for the off-topic question but I need a mechanic's advice. I pulled the valve cover of my Bronco's 351M to change the gasket and found half of an oil deflector from one of the rockers laying loose inside. Should I replace them all? More important; what could have caused this? The motor has roughly 126,000 miles on it.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Nichols

Sorry for the delay in replying, Gary...... I can recall seeing this several times in the past. When one is broken, I automatically regard the rest as the next victim and opt for changing them all. Vibration appears to be the killer - the tang of the deflector acts like a little tuning fork and when valve train harmonics are just right, the deflectors start to self-destruct. Without the deflector, expect the rocker arm and pivot to wear prematurely and could even get bad enough to mimic a collapsed lifter in sound.

HTH.

Jim Warman

Thanks, Jim. I was hoping to leave at least ONE bolt on the ol' heap unturned. Just glad I found it now.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Nichols