PING: SVTKate

Hey Kate... it's me again. I know you were in the process of moving. By now I'm sure you've completed that right? How do you like your new home? How does Shug like it? I just moved into a new apartment too & my room is incredibly bare at the moment.... but I'm going to spice it up a bit by throwing in a TV & home theatre system in my room.. and letting my girlfriend go nuts w/ the design aspect this week. I found a couple REAL nice 98 Cobra convertibles the last few days... both were under 60k miles (hopefully no odo fraud).. and drove real nice.. I didn't get a chance to really open 'em up though... they were both cold & i didn't wanna tear anything up by stomping on it without warming 'em up (didn't have enough time to warm 'em up really). Clutches on both felt great... all of interior was well maintained.. engines sounded good... one had a set of flowmasters on it... sounded pretty good. Anyway... I have decided I'm not going to add a supercharger to my 98 GT... but I'm going to buy a 98 Cobra instead within a year. I'm close to getting my $3k/month raise at work & when I do.. few months after that I'll be in a 98 Cobra =). Bills = $490/month total (I have a roommate) so I should be able to afford the cobra & insurance no problem. Sorry this is so long & boring LOL... tell me how your trip went & everything! I haven't been on this NG in at least a month or so! Glad ur back tho.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Hi Mike! Sounds like you are havine a grand adventure! I love my 98, don't get me wrong, but hon, if you can afford it get a used '03 instead of the 98. As far as mods to the engine on the 98, you are pretty limited to what you can do without having to tear it all apart to produce any real additional HP. I know right now I am feeling kind of low thinking that the new GT will be running neck and neck with Shug, and not a thing I can do about it without spending $3-$4K

Not like I can really get her out and run here in the Tennessee Speed Trap anyway, but I would still like to if I could.

If you think you will be happy with the HP that the 98 has, then by all means go for it. I love my SN95 better than any other body style. I am hesitant to trader her off for anything else in what I call "all the other uglier models"

The trip was definately an adventure! 2 months of moteling it and looking at a hundred houses. We finally found a great place that is exactly what we were looking for. It's 10.5 acres, a 6 year old 2000 s.f. brick home with a nice new shop and some great trees and a pond, out in the quiet part of the country. Only a few minutes (10) from the Tennessee River and from several large lakes. Naturally, we sold our boat before we left California LOL... not really wanting another one though for a while.

I'm still working on the laptop, man this crowded little keyboard is the pits! There are so many other priorities than setting up the network right now but It will come soon enough. The only internet access out here other than dialup is satellite, and they really screw you on the $$$$ for it, and their TV is bucksy too. I can't understand why you are expected to pay extra for local channels. For now we are using dialup and an rabbit ears that only bring in two channels, one of them being PBS. Talk about a step backwards technologically!

Hope your sweetie is having fun decorating, I'm still in the stage of opening boxes and asking myself "Why in the heck did I pack this stuff!!??"

:)

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

One word.....

NITROUS

Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

I think YOU are the one having the grand adventure not me ;D. I can't afford a used 03 Cobra.... not only would the price tag alone tear me up, but the insurance would just devour me. I was thinking 98 Cobra + blower = roughly 400+ hp at the crank... which would take me a while to learn how to drive her... naturally some handling parts as well.. but overall the cost for a 98 Cobra + blower would be cheaper than a used 03 Cobra & cheaper insurance.. with close to same HP. I really like this body style better than the 99-04 body style anyway.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Why does that word make me visualize a nuclear mushroom cloud???

Reply to
SVTKate

LOL!!! MAybe a good purge kit would make it look like a mushroom cloud?

I love that! I have had the oppurtunity to put a 100 shot on my truck twice though(both times for free). I just don't want to risk blowing something up on the old truck, its getting up there with 147,000 on the clock. I certainly can't afford replacing anything expensive right now either. Maybe when I have money to spare i'll throw the juice on it and try to blow it up :) Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

LOL I really don't like the idea of nitrous in my car either.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Thats a Bad A** picture...

Reply to
Shane Metzler

Mike -

Be *real* careful strapping a blower onto a '96-01 snake.

I've researched this idea.... 10.5:1 compression and cast bottom ends don't seem to like the idea of stuffing more air into it than it can take all by itself. I've heard plenty of horror stories about doing this procedure. I looked into it, owning a '97 Cobra myself. Stock GTs of the same years are running 9.5:1 compression - this is the major reason for the Cobra's 305hp rating and 91-octane fuel requirements... it's already pushing the detonation limits of 87 in N/A form.

If I were to do it, I'd either have the bottom end rebuilt (out of the question financially right now) or go with the smallest blower kit I could find psi-wise... and have it dyno-tuned before ever putting the belt on it on the street. Last thing I'd want to do is grenade the bottom end..

JS

Reply to
JS

very true. I think the 03 cobra has a 8:1 compression ratio or so. There's a reason why they did that. It also has forged pistons, which helps to keep it in one piece.

If you ever add a blower to it, make very sure the A/F ratio is good. this is one of the biggest reasons for destroying a motor.

How about forged pistons ? I think you could use that more. Is there a way to lower compression ? Maybe the heads can be modified.

Rein

Theres a guy in my area who went through three motors on a '97 cobra before he got that point. They are good motors, but not built for boost at all. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

True, why do you think Ford used so many different parts for the 03 cobra (blown) ? I know someone at Roush who was involved with the testing and they concluded that the existing 4.6 just wasn't strong enough. They could not get it to handle the power with the blower well enough. So they went the cast iron way.

Rein

Ah... didn't know the compression was so high. I've already decided I must have an 03 Cobra in the next couple years anyway... this makes me more "happy" with my decision. I don't want to pay payments over a 5 year period or anything so I'm going to be saving up all I can for the next 1.5-2 years so when I do get around to buying an 03 Cobra I won't hafta pay out the wazoo.... as much. Thanks for the info though, JS. Much appreciated (and to all others as well).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I agree completely. I've determined that it would probably be more financially viable to drop in an '03 Cobra driveline. Snake sleeper....

I'd want a forged bottom end with a lower-compression setup if I were going blown, but right now I don't have the funds to really do anything with the car but drive it.. so there she sits... basically stock.

JS

Reply to
JS

Exactly the reasons I have held off for this long. I'm chicken

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Now you're talkin kid! Kate