PING: svtkate. Panel insert refinishing question

Kate hon, or anybody else in the know. :-)

I want to refinish the door panel inserts (ya know, the ones with the mirror knobs) as mine are chipped and scarred around the edges. I figure I can use the new Krylon fusion spray paint. But how do I smooth these chips and scars and cracks out so they are gone once I repaint. I'm swining between black or if I can find it, blue like my exterior color.

Any suggestions?

On another note, does somebody know of a how-to to get the complete inside doorpanels off? I got a set of Pioneer A6880R speaker I want to use to replace the stock ones in the doors as well ads puytting in some powerlock actuators to wire into my alarm so I have powerlocks. :-)

Any help gladly appreciated. My Chilton is not that clear on this, nor is my Ford service manual CD.

Thanks guys!

BTW, anybody looking for billet headlight knobs? I have a few spares, (two rounded head, one flat head) I'd let go for $7 a piece. My stock knob broke the other day (I'd taken it off too many times I fear) and I ran into a guy that had 4. He only wanted to sell them as a lot though.

Reply to
Paul

Paul,

Do you have any pics of the knobs...Not sure, but I may take one off your hands if it will fit a 2003...BTW...I am in the Tampa Bay area.

Reply to
Shane Metzler

at 01 Apr 2004, Shane Metzler [ snipped-for-privacy@none.com] wrote in news:406b0909 snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.slurp.net:

It should fit a 2003 just fine. They will fit any shaft that is 3/16" and I checked the UPR site, which states theirs are 1994-2003 as well.

I'm in Brandon so we could arrange pickup if you wish. Give me a holler at pksnet.com using mustang (what else?) as a username...

Reply to
Paul

at 01 Apr 2004, Shane Metzler [ snipped-for-privacy@none.com] wrote in news:406b0909 snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.slurp.net:

It should fit a 2003 just fine. They will fit any shaft that is 3/16" and I checked the UPR site, which states theirs are 1994-2003 as well.

I'm in Brandon so we could arrange pickup if you wish. Give me a holler at pksnet.com using mustang (what else?) as a username...

Pictures can be found here:

Paul

Hey Paul, Sorry I didn't see you sooner, we have been working all week getting the shop unpacked and half way put together.. PHEW I've never SEEn so many Snap On tools in my life! Hubs has three toolboxes full of them, we have been cleaning boxes and tools and reorganizing after all of his years working with them.

Ok, on those little panels.

First, I wouldn't use Krylon. Nope nope nope nope.

Go to your local automotive paint supplier and get the following:

1 can SEM Trim black (Look at the B4 photo for the products) 1 can degreaser 1 tack cloth 1 or 2 sheets 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper 1 sheet 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper

Now, here's what you're going to do: Take them off of the doors Stuff them into a bucket of soapy water (Dawn and nice warm water) GENTLY wet sand (using the soapy water) the scratches and nicks off using the 600 grit blending the areas out so you don't change the shape of them go over them again all over with the 1000 grit paper so that you get all the nooks and crannys. If you have difficulty with the paper, use a a green or white scotch brite pad, but you only have to scuff with this to promote adhesion. If you get to aggressive you will leave scratches that will show. This is how they should look properly prepped

THROUGHLY, let them sit in the sun for a couple of hours or someplacewarm to be sure all the moisture is off of themPrepare your painting area with newspaper and whatever, a prop stick or twois a good idea to keep them from sticking while you are painting themUse a clean, lint free cloth to wipe them down with degreaser, then dry themwith the same kind of cloth, keeping your fingers off of them so the oilsfrom your hands do not get on them.Wipe them gently with the tack cloth and then apply your first coat, itshould look like this:
three coats on, light coats, allowing just enough time for the paint toglaze over. SEM Trim dries VERY quickly, and is very forgiving! The third coat can be put on pretty heavily, but be cautious of getting itso heavy it will run. Getting down in that little cup is a real challenge, you have to hold your mouth just right!

Hope this helped hon, if you need me, email me at kizthiz.com, svtkate@ and all that. If you're REALLY chicken, send me the cups and the bucks for the paint ( I have everything else) and I'll do them for ya !

Kate

"Paul" wrote in message news:Xns94BE6BFAD7523parrotpapa@65.32.1.6... | Kate hon, or anybody else in the know. :-) | | I want to refinish the door panel inserts (ya know, the ones with the | mirror knobs) as mine are chipped and scarred around the edges. I | figure I can use the new Krylon fusion spray paint. But how do I smooth | these chips and scars and cracks out so they are gone once I repaint. | I'm swining between black or if I can find it, blue like my exterior | color. | | Any suggestions? | | On another note, does somebody know of a how-to to get the complete | inside doorpanels off? I got a set of Pioneer A6880R speaker I want to | use to replace the stock ones in the doors as well ads puytting in some | powerlock actuators to wire into my alarm so I have powerlocks. :-) | | Any help gladly appreciated. My Chilton is not that clear on this, nor | is my Ford service manual CD. | | Thanks guys! | | BTW, anybody looking for billet headlight knobs? I have a few spares, | (two rounded head, one flat head) I'd let go for $7 a piece. My stock | knob broke the other day (I'd taken it off too many times I fear) and I | ran into a guy that had 4. He only wanted to sell them as a lot though. | | -- | _ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue) | |_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA) | |__| snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.com

Reply to
SVTKate

at 03 Apr 2004, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:GxMbc.9637$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

[...]

Thanks for the detailed description hon. I'm gonna try it myself and if I really screw up, I can always send them over. :-) I doubt though, your description was pretty thorough and I should be able to do it withot too many problems...

SnapOn tools eh? Aren't you using those for Shug as well? I just recently found out harborfreight tools has a local retail outlet. Now that is dangerous. :-) Found a nice Pittsburgh torque wrench with lifetime warranty there for $10 on sale. I don't use the tools enogh to warrant getting the really good stuff like SnapOn. Maybe one of these days...

Glad to hear your settling in...

Reply to
Paul