Pinging

Car is pinging every new and then at full throttle... maybe 1/5 times. It's very unnerving. Also, I'm losing about a 1/4 of a quart of oil every 3k miles. I'm going to clean the air filter today, clean sensors, I already replaced EGR valve. What else would you recommend I do? Thanks in advance. Btw, running 91 octane (designed for 87, but on 87 it pings worse).

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors
Reply to
<memset

If it pings at full throttle but not at tip-in, you likely have a fuel supply problem.

And the O2 sensors wont see it because they arent looked at at WOT

Filter, pump, line kink

opined in news:Z3Qld.13101$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I'm not sure how I can inspect the fuel lines more thoroughly than a visual inspection... filter was replaced about 5k miles ago. pump is the factory pump as far as I know... should I check fuel pressure??

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

God forbid it would be the dreaded intake manifold failure causing one or more cyls to burn lean!

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
steve

Two things I would recommend.

First is to clean the MAF sensor element. Over time it develops a coat of dirt that insulates the element which in turn causes the meter to send a signal to the computer that it is seeing less air than is actually running through the it. This causes the computer to deliver less fuel to the cylinders than is required and a lean condition occurs which can result in detonation (aka "pinging").

Second is to dump a can of BG 44K into the gas tank. If you are burning oil it might be causing a buildup of carbon in the combustion chambers. Since the carbon takes up space it has the effect of raising the compression ratio of the engine. This in turn can cause detonation. BG

44K will also do a great job of cleaning the entire fuel system. The cheap fuel system additives found in auto parts stores aren't worth using IMHO.

As mentioned, you may have a fuel delivery problem such as a weak fuel pump or a semi-clogged fuel filter.

As a last comment I don't think burning a 1/4 quart of oil every 3,000 miles is all that bad. We had a T-Bird that burned 1-2 quarts every

3,000 miles and it lasted to 183,000 miles and ran great up until our s> Car is pinging every new and then at full throttle... maybe 1/5 times. It's
Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

steve opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

ooops!

But that should show when you read the plugs

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hmm... BG 44K. Damn. I just put in a can of Seafoam Carbon Cleaner... LOL.

*slaps self*. I've heard good things about BG 44K as well, but the only place to find it here is at Precision Tune Auto Care & they are closed on Sundays. Sooo i opted for Seafoam instead. About $5.50/can wasn't too bad I thought. Bought 2. Put 1 in gas tank. Have the other sitting right here on my desk. About to go clean the MAF sensor (come to think of it, I *did* let my air filter get pretty dirty once... didn't clean MAF afterwards either) & disconnect battery for 20 mins. I put in a can of Seafoam cleaner & 87 octane... and SURPRISINGLY it immediately pinged FAR less... mostly at 4k-5k RPM range & in 3rd gear. The car feels a tiiiiny bit more "alive".. definitely not more "powerful", but just more responsive. These were immediate results. Car has been driven about 30 miles since I did Seafoam (I drove it a while on purpose). Anyway... I'm off to clean the MAF sensor. Hope I can find some electrical parts cleaner around the house..

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Just found out that a few dealerships around here keep BG 44K in stock. I'll hafta drop by & see if this Seafoam carbon cleaner doesn't work. They're about $25/can at Precision Tune... I'll see what the dealers charge. Thanks, Michael.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

opined in news:J1Tld.13134$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

read the plugs to see if there is one or two running leaner than the others

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

What indications would there be on the plugs? Also, I left the gap settings at what NGK set them... I believe it was at 0.045 or close. I could be wrong though. I'll check 'em all tomorrow. What gap should I be using? 0.054?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Hmm... dealership selling it cheaper?? Wow. I'm gonna call some dealerships this week & see who has it. A few were listed on the seafoam site. I'd like to support my local Ford dealership so I'm gonna call 'em first ;P. Even though they suck sometimes.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Damn!!! I didn't realize that stuff was that expensive. I have a gold mine in my garage, lol!!! I have about 10-12 cans I think. Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

Erik... buddy.. pal ;).

Seriously.. where the heck did you get that much from?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Honestly I don't know. My brother gets it. He's a mechanic so he brings home stuff all the time. I think BG has some kind of thing where when the mechanics use the product they get incentives. I'm not really sure though, all I know is I have some over here. Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

yeah, this is probably a normal amount, even on the low side I would think. Wouldn't worry about it.

ouch.

Rein

yup, Sounds like the thing to do. If you fuel-filter is clean, this is the next step. How many miles are on the car ?

Rein

Seafoam is also very good for cleaning. Make sure you do not top off the fuel, run it almost empty so you get to use the maximum strength mixture of gas and seafoam..

Rein

That's not the whole story. He totaled the T-Bird on a Saturday and two weeks earlier he lost control of a Nissan 240SX convertible we owned and slid across the median into two oncoming lanes of traffic and luckily came away without a scratch on him or the car. The next Saturday he totaled that car too. Just recently he totaled a third car without getting a scratch. Every time he calls me from his cell phone a little voice in my head says "Does this car number four is totaled?". :(

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE