PLEASE .. need help putting a 351w in a 67

Hi .. I bought a rebuilt 351w from a guy that swore that it would fit in my mustang. (67)

But I have two big problems.

1st is the sump hump on the pan runs into the steering linkage and crossmember. So .. do they sell a pan oil pump kit that moves the hump to the front ?

2nd is that neither the headers that came with the 351 or the standard exaust manifolds from the old eng dont fit. Please tell me that someone makes a header kit for this mix.

thanks a bunch and sorry if this has been asked before, I have been googling all nite with no answers.

mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

Cobra65K

Reply to
Cobra65K

have used the original style "tri-by" headers in that application before. The 69 style 351w oil pan is available aftermarket. you will need to change the oil pump pickup.

Reply to
walt peifer

snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.com (walt peifer) wrote in :

This is actually my son-in-laws car .. and just to complicate things I checked the inside of the door and it says its a 65A. grin ..

My googling tells me that the shock towers are closer on a 65 than a 67.

oh well .. can anyone tell me if the oil pan from the orig 289 will fit the 351w, it has front sump.

mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

True. Check with Mustangs Plus for headers to fit that application.

No, it will not. All V8 engines in early chassis need a front sump pan. In '69 the Mustang was available with a 351W. You can get a stock replacement, chrome plated, drag race, or road race pan for this - depending on how much you want to spend. Again, check with Mustangs Plus.

Reply to
.boB

Many engine shops advise avoiding chrome pans if the car is driven, but OK for trailer queens, due to leakage around the seal.

Reply to
Spike

snipped-for-privacy@snowcrest.net (Spike) wrote in :

wow .. ok guys .. great info ..

thanks so much

mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

Yes, just use the standard front sump oil pan available for any early mustang 289/302/351 ,,they all fit. I have one in my garage on a 289 ,,but there are thousands out there,,,in fact its the more common pan. As far as headers Dougs makes a header specifically for this swap. The problem is that its very close to the clutch z bar,,,and its hard to get in there,,I did it in a 68. The other issue is the engine mount ,,,, there is a problem with clearance on 67 engines with stock mounts ,,,,this problem is a one year only problem and from what I have heard some fit and some wont,,,, you have to find a mount that works. Steve

Reply to
Steve

They all fit the chassis. But you can't use a 289/302 pan on a

351. The rear bearing cap is a different size.
Reply to
.boB
289,302 pan will not fit a 351w, pre 80's car 351w's have front sump pans
Reply to
Winze

The following site as lots of info on what your trying to do:

CCTGENE

the 65a on the door tag refers to the body type in your case 2 door coupe with standard interior not the vehcile year. the first digit of the srail number tells the model year in your case the serial number should be 7c05XXXXXXX.

Reply to
walt peifer

yes it will if it as a 69 passenger car engine, there were subtle changes in the 351 w and 351m engine in the early 70's

Reply to
walt peifer

the fact is a 351w oil pan will NOT fit any 289,302,5.0 the 351w is wider at the pan rails & have bigger main bearings & caps. 351w block looks like a 289,302, but its different(bigger) externally.

Reply to
Winze

I guess that thinking applies to chrome valve covers also? if so all those hi po 289's, 69 boss 302's, 390hp's,428cj's were trailer queens?

use RTV gasket sealer, chrome or not

Reply to
New Yankee Workshop

351w is a externally bigger 289 302 style engine,351m is a destroked 400 & the 400 is a externally bigger 351c style engine with 429,460 bellhousing pattern.
Reply to
New Yankee Workshop

I stand corrected the actually dimension on the 351w vs. the 289 302 block are as follows

351w 19" X 291/2 500 lbs 289-302 18" X 291/2 " 450 lbs the extra inch in width also give a higher deck height which pushes the exhaust manifold almost 1.5 inches further out, which is why the 351w will not fit the 64-66 mustang, however the shock towers in the 67 up cars are wide enough as ford began install the FE series motors in 67.
Reply to
walt peifer

Reply to
Cobra65K

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Cobra65K) wrote in :

** 351w going in a 67

it did turn out to be a 67. and yesterday I ordered the oil pan but .. your post reminded me that I need an oil pump pick up extention. Can I get this anywhere .. and what exactly do I ask for.

I am about ready to order the headers. here is the link to these

im not sure if I want the shorty's or the long versions the current exhaust is set up for stock exhaust manifolds on the 289

anyways .. thanks

mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD