Poll: How many miles do you get on your low fuel light?

About half-way home today I noticed that my low fuel light was on. Oops, especially since the nearest gas station was about 10 or 12 miles away. I didn't stop there though b/c I had to come straight home; so now I guess I'll see if I can make it to the station in the morning, I reset the trip odometer when I saw the light and it now reads 13.6 miles. Anyway, the point of all this I what I've wondered for several years...how far can you go after the "low fuel" light comes on? Or, how far have you gone? 10 miles? 15? 20? 50?

wabbitslayer

01 GT vert
Reply to
wabbitslayer

I assume about 10 and go fillup. Let me know what you find out.

Reply to
Fredless

When my "low fuel" light comes on, the puter says I have 58mi. to MT (2006)

"Fredless" wrote in news:4575ef52$0$97275$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

Reply to
otnmbrd

'97 Bull 3.0:

50 miles... 60 highway, quite consistantly. This works out to 2 gallons.

Our beloved old '87 Accord did 70 miles "on the light", 75 highway. Again, 2 gallons.

I ran them dry to be sure, too. Don't try this trick at home, I'm a professional.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Calculated back to miles, around 45... Based on the average usage of the car over time, and the amount of fuel I had to pour in. Subtract that from the tank size (15.something gallons), and you'll end up with how much fuel was left.

Use that amount to the MPG, and out rolls your end result.

I've never gone sofar as to actually completely run it dry. Don't really plan on doing that too...

Neko-

Reply to
Neko-

The tank capacities are underrated considerably.

My 16 gallon Taurus Wagon tank holds 20.2 gallons. I replaced the tank(leaking) this Fall, with a new 16 gallon tank(the SHO has the 18 gallon tank)... the new one holds 20.2 gallons too. Go figure(gives me ~605 miles range highway!).

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

In the 85, about 5 miles ;-)

Reply to
G Unit

FWIW, I now know that in an 01 GT you can go at least 17.6 miles. Made me think about all the years I drove a '79 Cutlass with the needle far past the "E", not b/c I forgot but b/c paying for gas was a day-to-day thing. What do kids now do? These days I'm not sure getting the old "five dollars worth" would even get the gas out of the hose.

wabbitslayer

01 GT vert
Reply to
wabbitslayer

If you're going on about gasprices, that's a whole differnt story. Just to make you feel better...

Current prices here at the moment?

?1.35 per liter... So... about 3.79 liters is a gallon, so the price per US gallon comes to ?5.11. We then convert that to today's exchange rate of about ?1.00 = $1.32... And we end up with: $6.75 per gallon.

Like I said in my previous e-mail... I do not plan on emptying the tank to the bottom. So I might never find out how much it exactly holds :P

Neko-

Reply to
Neko-

Yes but the price in excessive taxes you pay at the pump, and almost everywhere else you spend your money, directly funds your socialized society, we do not now, nor want to in the future, live in a over-taxed socialized country.

Cheers.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Low fuel light? Whassat? Neither V6stang nor MukY have any such light... :)

In the Mustang, I know it's empty when the needle touches the line under E, and in the Jeep, I have no idea where it runs dry, because I've yet to do that. Lowest I've gone is where the needle is pointing to E, and when I filled up it took just under 14 gallons (in a 15 gallon tank).

Reply to
Garth Almgren

FRom the 2005 owners manual:

The DTE function will display LOW FUEL LEVEL and sound a tone for one second when you have approximately 50 miles (80 km) to empty. If you RESET this warning message, this display and tone will return within 10 minutes.

DTE is calculated using a running average fuel economy, which is based on your recent driving history of 500 miles (800 km). This value is not the same as the average fuel economy display. The running average fuel economy is reinitialized to a factory default value if the battery is disconnected.

Reply to
Cuthbert J. Twillie