possible starter problem??? Please help

I need a little help. I have a 1989 Ford Mustang LX with a 2.3 liter engine. I had to change the torque converter and after I finished, it started fined but then cut off and will not restart. I was told that transmission fluid (it was everywhere) could have gotten into the starter causing a short, thus causing low voltage throughout the circuit. When I turn the key sometimes the lights on the dash (oil, check engine, etc.) come on bright, but when I try to start the engine they go dim or out completely. Sometimes when I turn the key on the lights are out but come on after a few seconds. I had the starter checked at the auto parts store and they said it seemed fine but it does nothing in the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Dumbass shadetree mechanic here but sounds like a bad connection at the battery....have you cleaned terminals lately??? Mike

Reply to
Gumby619

Yes, I tried that and also checked for corrosion in cables.

Reply to
Mike

Why was fluid everywhere? They make pans to contain the stuff.

I agree with the other post. Sounds like bad cable ends and corrosion. Clean, replace all and put a fresh charge on the battery and go...

Reply to
deadcarnahans

Mike,

Make sure that you reconnected the ground from the transmission to the firewall.

DanBerger

1990 Mustang LX 2.3L
Reply to
DanBerger