Power Steering on 1990 Mustang

Hey everyone,

We have a 1990 Mustang (4 cylinder, manual) that almost has 200,000 km (or ~130k miles) on it. We replace the pump for the power steering twice in less than 2 years. In both cases, the seal on the pump went. We replaced the second one about 2 months ago, and the car still makes that whiny racket everytime we turn the steering. The mechanic took a closer look at it and suspects that the rack and pinion is going. He flushed the fluid last week and the fluid was just black. His suspicion is that the reason why it is black is because it aluminium alloy is just disintegrating.

So my question is "Is this plausible?" and what is the regular maintenance on the rack and pinion? Is this the "correct" mileage on when to replace the rack and pinion? Thanks for the help.

Robert

Reply to
zork
130k miles is a lot for the original rack. It should be replaced. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet