Power steering problem in 68?

For a while now, my 68 has been pulling to the right when I brake. Sometimes it will pull only a little, sometimes the steering wheel will nearly spin. It pulls to the left if I brake while backing up. I've had one shop replace cracked brake shoes twice, now they are telling me the steering linkage is moving around when I hit the brakes, and I need to replace the control valve and cylinder. Has anyone out there had this kind of problem before? Does this sound like the right solution? I'm finding these parts for sale at prety different prices, who is a good source for these parts? Are the flaming river products worth the higher cost? Any advice is appreciated.

-pmills

Reply to
P Mills

You could try just buying rebuild kits for the valve and cylinder - a lot cheaper. Sounds though your brakes have a problem - ie the front left brakes not working?... Just an idea

"P Mills" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
elmo

I don't see how a bad control valve or cylinder could cause pulling. The valve merely directs hydraulic pressure to one side or the other of the cylinder, and the cylinder pushes or pulls the center link accordingly. Applying the brakes will not cause the control valve to actuate. If your steering works smoothly and if there's no leakage you don't need to replace these parts. And if you did it wouldn't affect the brakes.

Brake pulling is most often due to wheel cylinder leakage. Pull the drums and check for signs of dampness around the wheel cylinders. Really sloppy tie rod ends could also cause the CAR to pull when you apply the brakes, but this would be felt as an involuntary steering input, not as one wheel braking harder than the other. You can check the tie rod ends, the idler arm, and the ball joints by the good old fashioned method of shaking them around with the wheels off the ground.

If this car is new to you, it's never a bad idea just to replace all the tie rod ends. It's not expensive and not difficult.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Check to see if your strut rod bushings and or upper control arm bushings are out to lunch. If they are moving forward and backward as you apply braking pressure it could be causing your whole steering geometry to change. The fact that it changes direction as your car does makes me think it is more than just pulling brakes. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet