problem ?

While driving a 1993 mustang 5.0, it just died and rolled to a stop, It would start up again go for awhile and then the engine would stop again,

Sometime it would not like to start. But I got it home about 2 miles away,

The battery show quite low voltage, when it was stopped. Headlights were on

And the Battery did not show the high voltage like when it is charging before all this started happening.

Gas ls low in tank and it was sitting for about 2 months.

Any Ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Reply to
green

running, you should have at least 14 volts across the battery posts. old fuel? you should have 40 psi, maybe just change the filter? then fill the tank.

Reply to
GILL

Water in the tank makes things worse the lower the fuel level gets.

A ping pong ball in the tank can have the same effect if you're not in city traffic. On the open road, vacuum pulls the ball to the pump outlet and chokes the fuel supply. if you stop, vacuum is reduced and the ball floats free until the vacuum builds again. In city traffic it would be noticed because all the stop and go doesn't give the vacuum time enough to build and pull the ball to the outlet.

A bad catalytic converter can lead to similar symptoms.

The electrical system can be overloaded, especially on a weak or faulty battery, resultin ing dim lights and possibly electric fuel pump shutdown.

Reply to
veeger

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 10:09:33 -0700, veeger rearranged some electrons to say:

What?

Reply to
david

Voltage is good, Ill put some good gas in it.

I found one spark plug cable has a lot of arc marks on it where it was toughing metal, so I change it out, But still having problem, but need to put in good gas. I dont think Im getting any codes either.

Reply to
green

Fuel filter?

Reply to
Les Benn

fisrt thing, Im going to replace it and check for bad gas in a day or two. and let you guys know what I find. Fuel filter is at least 10 years old. I think it might be the module on the distribuitor(hope not)

Reply to
green

My battle plan is replace the cheapest stuff first. 10 yr olf fuel filter is most likely totally plugged.

Reply to
Les Benn

changed it out, still the same. Filter wasn't plugged

But, when I turn on the ignition key, first position, the fuel level gauge and the MPH needle do not stay in one position, they will sit and then bounce up a little, then go back. then bounce up and back down, erratically only for about 1/2 second.

Kind of like losing a ground somewhere ? the Starter ground is OK, So I can I go and rework the battery ground, next to battery on chassie wall and computer ground, but looking at both of those, they seem OK.

The car starts up, will run drive for a little then seems to have the electricity cut off, and it dies.

I had the harmonic balancer replaced about 2 weeks ago, it was wobbly.

Another thing I did about a month ago was re-gasket the throttle body.

Reply to
green

You should hear the fuel pump running continuous on those cars. After it dies can you hear the pump while the key is on motor off? If no, maybe your pump is dead. If yes, do you have spark? If no then ignition is the area to check.

Reply to
GILL

Found it. It was an intermittent high voltage coil.

coil has power on it when in accessory mode, and it would partly short then open, causing bump in the voltage and indicator needles, wo the engine running.

new one cost $12.00, about 15 min install.

Reply to
green

Update -- It was ALSO the TFI module, about $30 and have to buy a special tool to get it in and out.

Reply to
green

You don't have to, but the one the Mustang places sell certainly makes it a lot easier. I keep it and a spare module in the glove box.

Reply to
WindsorFo

well,

car is still having problems, runs for about 3 min then starts cutting out completely. changed the coil, TFI, plugs, wires, fuel filter, rotor and cap.

could be the fuel pump ? can it be erratic like that? It is a bigger one put in for a blower.

one time I turned the key on to accessory, did not start it, and heard some kind of thump, not right at all. guess I'll work on the gas side for a while. Pump should be on when in acc right?

But car does start, engine runs, drive it a little, then starts cutting out, then dies totally. But then it will start up again.

could also be that pickup in the distributor being erratic?

Reply to
green

Yes. I had the fuel pump go after about 240,000 mi with very similar symptoms as you describe. Original pump. 1989 LX 5.0 I'd would expect a "bigger one put in for a blower" to last a good while, though.

No.

Yep, just like mine when it went. The car ran better than ever with the new pump. (stock replacement)

Hmmm, never heard that one, but anything's possible I guess. I will say that I also replaced the TFI module (as you have) after very similar problems on a different occasion. Same deal with my brother's 5.0 which I think was a 1990. I've also seen a lot of cars in the "salvage" yard with aftermarket TFI modules.

rd

Reply to
RD Jones

Yes. I had the fuel pump go after about 240,000 mi with very similar symptoms as you describe. Original pump. 1989 LX 5.0 I'd would expect a "bigger one put in for a blower" to last a good while, though.

No.

Yep, just like mine when it went. The car ran better than ever with the new pump. (stock replacement)

Hmmm, never heard that one, but anything's possible I guess. I will say that I also replaced the TFI module (as you have) after very similar problems on a different occasion. Same deal with my brother's 5.0 which I think was a 1990. I've also seen a lot of cars in the "salvage" yard with aftermarket TFI modules.

rd

I fixed the ground for the computer, the one near the battery, it is a one wire black connector about 2 inches long, it was corroded w battery acid had eaten it quite a bit. I just cut out the connector and soldered the wires together. I have driven it one mile without problems (too busy with other stuff)

will test out some more.

Reply to
green

It is finally fixed.

It was the ground wire connection for the computer over near the battory.

It was corroded with acid and was loose.

I cut both ends off and just soldered the two ground wires together

runs fine now.

Reply to
JohnJ