Problem starting car - No spark

Hi folks,

I have been beating on this one for over 2 months now and still no luck. I have a 95 GT Conv 5.0 all stock. The problem started one day randomly where the car was cranking, but it didn't start for 5-10 minutes. I didn't take it quite seriously. This is a long message, but its the only way I can describe the problem.

This happened about a couple more times during a span of 2 weeks. Finally, one day it just wouldn't start. I tried it for 2 hours until my battery gave up. At the same time I made sure some really basic stuff was fine, such as having enough gas. I tried to jump start, but it still wouldn't start (This is when the battery was still good). So, I was stuck 200 miles from home and had to take the next day off. After I towed it to the shop, the mechanic said that the distributor cap was bad and the battery was dead. Like I explained to him that it wasn't the problem. But, he still fixed that stuff and cleaned up my battery. Apparently it started after he did that.

So I thought, he knows better. Drove back home and it wouldn't start the next day while I was heading to work. This time a buddy of mine took a look at it. He said I had a battery grounding problem. He cleaned up the terminals further and the car started. Hence, that was the problem. I was excited.

Later, I went on vacation for a month and when I came back the car started just fine. However, a day later it died on my way to work. This time I had to get it towed. The guy said that there was no problem since the car started the moment it got there. But I told him that I have experienced this before so please take a look around. At that point he said the problem probably lied around the coil. So we replaced the Ignition Coil, spark plug wires, cleaned up the distributor, and the air pump (it was noisy). At this point he mentioned that my fuel pressure wasn't right. I knew I needed a new fuel pump at some point due to the 122k mileage on the car. That was a little loud too. However, I headed home.

The next day at lunch time the car wouldn't start again. I had the same guy tow it back. This time he tried to reproduce the problem for 5 days and couldn't find anything since the car would start just fine. So he concluded that I needed a new fuel pump. Alas! I had my new fuel pump installed. I thought this is a good thing. At the very least I got new parts and the car is not getting any worse.

To my surprise it died again. The same friend who looked at it the previously came to the rescue. One night while it wasn't starting he identified that I had no spark. All this while the engine would crank just fine, but the car wouldn't start. He played with the cable coming out of the engine going into the ignition coil on the lower left and cleaned the distributor cap, etc. It started fine.

When it died again, I called him and was pissed off. I waited until evening and tried to start the car. It started and I headed straight to the mechanic. At this point we tested the ignition module. It seemed fine. However, the mechanic was embarrassed and gave me a spark tester to see if I had spark whenever the problem recurred. And if it didn't, we would try a new ignition module. Initially the car would not start. Now, sometimes it wont start as well as die while in motion.

So, yesterday it died on the way again. I tested for spark and voila! there was no spark. The car started in about 15 minutes. I headed to the mechanic and he bought me a new ignition module. I thought, if this is really the problem I will pay for it. But, he insisted that I try it out. Now, this mechanic is really good and takes good pride in finding the problem. However, my car has been driving him nuts as it starts whenever he takes a look at it.

Finally, this morning it died on the way and I found that there was no spark. I called the same tow truck. But, the car started in about 20 minutes. I am not sure if it was because I played with the cables going into the coil and the distributor cap and rotor.

At this point, I have no clue. Someone suggested I should check the grounding all over. The mechanic wants to keep it longer.

All I know at this point is that there is no spark going into the distributor when the car isn't starting or stops while in motion.

So far I have the following new components: Air Pump Fuel Pump Water Pump Distributor cap and rotor Spark plug wires Ignition Coil Ignition Module

The battery has tested fine.

Can any of you pros out there help me out here ? I am so frustrated. This is my primary car and I have just moved into this area 200 miles away from where I used to be. I can't afford to buy another car and at the same time keep spending on this one. Please advise!

Thanks, Nik.

Reply to
The Outlander

I would suspect the Hall P/U sensor inside the distributor is thermally breaking down, causing a lack of PIP signal to the ECU. This would require replacement of the distributor assembly. You could get a machine shop to press fit on another sensor, but it's probably more common to replace the whole assembly and be done with it.

In retrospect (if this is the case), you may have been better off going to a Ford dealership for proper diagnosis the first time, saving you grief and money. Nothing etched in stone here, just a thought...

Good luck and HTH

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Thanks for your suggestion .... The ford guys have ripped me off over and over again ... they are at a 5 min walk from my house ... but, due to their unethical practices I haven't gone to them ... maybe I should try them next

there is no pattern to the car breaking down .. .however, today I looked at the tach and noticed that it wasn't moving at all while trying to start the car ...

any thoughts about replacing the ignition with a msd ignition system ?

- Nik

Reply to
The Outlander

On 28 Jun 2005 07:13:21 -0700, "The Outlander" wrote: Hi, Man I'm in the same boat, I'm having the same issues with my

95GT. I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pressure reg, ignition control mod. And just yesterday it completely died..... and would not start.... SO, I had to swallow my pride and have the ole' girl towed to the dealership. I believe the other guy is correct, I suspect I'll get a call tomorrow telling me I need a new stator/pickup in the distributor cap and probably that Hal's effect device...(if they are not the same thing, I'm not real sure). When I get word as to what they find I'll post it...

Good luck and wish me luck.

Reply to
Lee A.

I had something similar happen on my car last year after not driving it for a couple of months.

First we replaced the battery, then the starter then had it towed piggyback to an SVT dealer 85 miles out.

Turned out that the wiring in the column for the PATS system was fubar.

It evidently has a TSB on it, the wires were too short and prone to breaking.

Anyway, just for whatever it was worth.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top

[...]

SVTKate

As mentioned... in this series, the problem is likely either the ignition wiring or the TFI.

While the TFI would be the first suspect, the voltage TO the coil is the second.

If the tach needle pops a little when you turn the ign on, that means the coil has 12v to it

Get a cheap 12 volt test lamp, wire it to coil positive and ground.

The tech should have also suggested a "noid" to troubleshoot.

If the tach isnt moving, on cranking, but the noid shows regular injector firing, you have pip, and if the lite shows 12volts at coil.. then you still have a bad coil or wiring from coil to TFI. Also try with spout plug out.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Good luck Lee ! I feel your pain .... this problem is so frustrating .... I am gonna have the grounding checked and the Stator as well as the voltage to the coil ....

please post any info you have ... thx...

- Nik

Reply to
The Outlander

Wow .. I found something interesting about the TFI module ... could I be affected by the same ???

.... I did replace my ignition module though ....

Reply to
The Outlander

It died yesterday afternoon again and I was in a very bad spot with construction going on and a single lane and stuff .... I am totally fed up now and if it can't be fixed this time I will have to just keep it in the parking lot and try to work on it on weekends .... but I have my fingers crossed for this time .... otherwise I need to start looking for some tools and another car (could it be a mustang again? my 01 v6 never had problems apart from constant skidding in rain/snow....but I hate the service ford provides) ...

Reply to
The Outlander

I got my car back today ... the guy said that the Distributor pickup had gone bad .... which in turn wouldn't signal the computer to send the spark ... I am hoping that this was the solution .... there is no way to confirm because the car always starts at the shop .... its after a couple of days that I realize I just wasted time and money ....

Reply to
The Outlander

On 29 Jun 2005 06:48:17 -0700, "The Outlander" wrote: Outlander, I got word yesterday, as to what my problem is and may be yours. The mech. told me it was the stator/pickup in the distrator.. The part to replace it is around 60.00 +labor. Also My fuel pump was not cutting off, b/c of my Viper alarm system. Go figure...

I hope this helps.

Lee

Reply to
Lee A.

"" wrote: > On 29 Jun 2005 06:48:17 -0700, "The Outlander" > wrote: > Outlander, > I got word yesterday, as to what my problem is and may be > yours. > The mech. told me it was the stator/pickup in the distrator.. > The part > to replace it is around 60.00 +labor. Also My fuel pump was > not > cutting off, b/c of my Viper alarm system. Go figure... > > I hope this helps. > > Lee > >Good luck Lee ! > >I feel your pain .... this problem is so frustrating .... I > am gonna > >have the grounding checked and the Stator as well as the > voltage to the > >coil .... > >

I read about your problem and I have the same problem with mij 1987 V8 cabrio.It stops when the outside temperature is high with no spark at all. I replaced the TDI module and coil.

Is your car fixed at this moment and with a new Hall sensor or do you still have the same problems ??

Ron Peters,Holland

Reply to
drebbel