Problem with fan on '98 Mustang

I'm having a problem with the fan on my '98 Mustang. It seems to just quit running. When I turn on the A/C, it usually won't run unless I'm going at least 30MPH or so (it gets warm again at every stop light). This isn't always the case, but about 85% of the time it is. Also, if I'm driving around, the car will overheat if I'm in heavy traffic b/c the fan won't kick on (it won't overheat if I'm maintaining a decent constant speed; I'm guessing b/c of air coming in the front of the car whilst it's moving). Any thoughts on this? I've heard some things about the fan relay going bad, or the thermoswitch.

My first instinct was to just wire a standard automotic relay (activated by the ignition) to the fan and just have it turn on when the ignition is on. I know the pros to this is that the fan will stay on if the car is on, but what problems might I encounter if I wired it up this way?

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael Gaskins

Most of the 94/95 guys with mods end up wiring the fan to a switch. The nice thing about how Ford has the system wired is that if done correctly the fan will still work with the switch off. Basicly all that the switch is doing is a short cut to ground. You just need to splice in at the CCRM. You might check at Corral.net for more info. just do a search for fan switch mod.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Tim (AKA MUSTANGGUY) was kind enough to point me to a site that told me how to create my own switch. I don't have the URL anymore... ping MustangGuy & see if he still has it or can dig it up. I have a 98 GT also that had that problem. The overall process is fairly easy.. costed me a/b $20 for all supplies.. wiring, switch, in-line fuse, etc. I hid the switch underneath my cd player so it's totally invisible.. all of the wiring is underneath the carpet. My fan stays on when the car is on basically.. in high-speed. Never had an overheating problem since. Of course, I am 90% sure it's the CCRM. I plan on replacing the CCRM as soon as I get time.. and I'll be ordering my CCRM through Tim (Mustangguy)... if it fixes it w/out a switch then I'll be sure to post here about it & you too can get a CCRM through Tim (or whoever you choose, but he's a great guy).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset
** I'm having a problem with the fan on my '98 Mustang. It seems to just ** quit running. When I turn on the A/C, it usually won't run unless I'm ** going at least 30MPH or so (it gets warm again at every stop light).

The fan should engage any time you have the A/C turned on. It's time to have it checked out by a professional.

** My first instinct was to just wire a standard automotic relay

Perhaps you should repair the problem instead? It is obvious to me that you don't have the expertise or training to diagnose and repair the problem. Perhaps it is time to take it to a professional for an expert diagnosis and repair. I do 99% of my own work, but something like you describe would have me seeking the advice of a professional mechanic long before I solicited the advice of strangers.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

I generally prefer to find my own solutions when I can. And besides that fact money is so tight right now I simply can't afford to take it to a repair shop (and for the same reason I'm refilling a leaking tire with air every 2 days rather than getting a new one). I've got toggle switches and wiring laying around already, and a relay is about $5. It's about down to hooking up something like that, or just letting it stay broke. ;)

Mike

JD Adams wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Michael Gaskins

You don't need a relay to wire in the switch. The switch is VERY handy.. I'd recommend installing one. I'll try to dig up the URL for the site I used.

Get the tire repaired, not replaced (if possible).

Cya.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Regretably Ford uses a very cheap switch and the position stops wear out quickly on the fan speed selector. Try looking for one in a salvage yard. There easy to remove. Be carful with the wiring. When you replace your old switch be very careful that when you install your new switch that you insulate all the connected wires. You face the real possibility of fire if you don't do this correctly.

Reply to
Mr. Ford
** I generally prefer to find my own solutions when I can. And besides that ** fact money is so tight right now I simply can't afford to take it to a ** repair shop (and for the same reason I'm refilling a leaking tire with air ** every 2 days rather than getting a new one). I've got toggle switches and ** wiring laying around already, and a relay is about $5. It's about down to ** hooking up something like that, or just letting it stay broke. ;) ** ** Mike

I'm not sure why you would need to buy a new tire to remedy an air leak. I've always paid a neighborhood shop $10.00 to repair most anything that needs it.

I'm sure most any competent mechanic could diagnose your fan problem for about $40.00 (1/2 hr. of shop time), and with this knowledge, you could choose to repair it yourself if you don't have money falling out of your ass.

I am sorry to hear that your finances are in such bad shape that you are compelled to ignore the obvious. I wish you much success with the switch project.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

And that would have been $40.00 wasted. By reading a few forums and some past postings to this group, I was able to find the problem myself. After reading several posts on how the fan connector that Ford uses is cheap and unreliable, I tried that out. Wiggle the connector, the fan comes on. Now, a few $0.25 terminals later, it's working just fine.

I know you mean well, but if I had wanted a mechanic to look at it . . . I would have taken it to a mechanic. :)

As to the tire, it's already been repaired (had 2 nails through it) but it's still leaking. Rather slowly, but leaking nonetheless. I'll try and get it fixed when I have the extra cash. However, right now after paying all of my bills I'm having about $30 left over per month, and that's got to be stretched as far as possible.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Gaskins
** after paying all of my bills I'm having about $30 left over per month, ** and that's got to be stretched as far as possible. ** ** Mike

$30 left over at the end of each month? I've known homeless people with more disposable cash than that. Ah, checking your domain, I can see why. Been there, done that; big waste of time, but the brew and females were a lot of fun. I've been debt-free and pretty well off for so long now that I've all but forgotten.

I'll keep the wiggling-connector thing in mind; it may come in handy if mine ever croaks. Consider running it back to the tire shop, and tell them it still leaks; it might be good for a freebie. Ya never know unless you ask.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

Just sounds like the brushes in the motor are going bad.

Just replace the fan motor.

Reply to
Katmandu