problems with jack stands

i jacked up my '04 mach 1 this morning using a floor jack and jack stands. i wanted to jack it up and get underneath and familiarize myself with everything. i couldn't get the `doughnut-like' area beneath the springs to rest comfortably in the cradle of the jack stand. sorry, all, i'll learn the proper terminology as i go along -- is that the lower control arm that the spring rests in?

anyway, i did my best to take some pix. the side i had problems with is on the driver's side:

and although the passenger's side pic turned out crummy, i think one can appreciate the `doughnut' is resting solidly in the jack stand cradle...

is it normally this difficult to get things lined up properly? i tried a good eight times to get the driver's side to seat properly, but couldn't. did i just get lucky on the passenger's side having it line up perfectly the first time? i certainly don't feel completely comfortable leaving it like that while i work under there.

also, the arrow (sorry, my digital editing capabilities are limited) indicates my interpretation of one of the spots where i can locate a floor jack to lift her up. does this seem reasonable? the reason i ask is that the floor jack seems to have dented slightly the part where it made contact (you may not be able to appreciate the dents from the pic, but they are there; they are very small).

any thoughts?

thanks,

--john

Reply to
bitbucket

Floor jack should go under the door, check your manual, it says where. there's a little notch where you put the jack.

I usually put the jackstands under the control arm, having the lip of the side of the control arm rest inside the U of the jackstands. It doesn't have to fit perfectly, don't worry about that. Just make sure that 1. the car can not slide of the jackstand and 2. the jack stand has all legs on the floor. There' a couple other spots where you see the frame beams where you can put the jack stands under. For extra security use 2 jackstands.

Rein