Prolock car alarm system

I bought my mustang in 1994 and it came with a Prolock security system (the computer chip completing the ignition circuit). However, recently I am having trouble starting the car. Its not the chip - - its the connections. I reach under the steering column and touch the taped wire area and the car starts. I have tried to reach someone from Prolock at the 800 number to no avail (number disconnected). I have been told they are out of business. The ford delearship says they won't touch it. My regular mechanic has referred me to Al & Ed's who have not been helpful at all. I am considering having the system removed and rewired without it BUT I CAN'T FIND ANYONE TO HELP ME or to fix the connetions. Any suggestions???? Or does anyone know where or who took over Prolock???

Thanks,

K. McDaniel

Reply to
K McDaniel via CarKB.com

You might as well just remove the thing. They're a piece of junk... my brother had one on his Jeep, and it failed twice before I just went ahead and bypassed (and subsequently removed it). The "security" they provide is extremely minimal, and can literally be bypassed with a safety pin. Which is, in fact, how I bypassed my brother's. Also, if you have easy access to the starter solenoid, you can circumvent the effects of the Prolock with a short length of wire (again, a trick I used when my brother's Prolock failed the first time and left him stuck downtown).

As I recall the connections on the thing were fairly self-explanatory. There was a slot where the chip plugged in that was attached via a wire bundle back to a small "brain box" consisting of some pretty pathetic circuits that could likely be duplicated for about $10 and a Mouser catalog. There were three other wires that came out of the "brain" for the thing... one was a ground, and the other two spliced into the wire running from the started solenoid to the ignition switch. Those three wires could be easily repaired if the connections failed, but the connections inside the wire bundle for the slow where the chip plugs in would probably be a complete pain in the rear to repair. Of course even if you DID repair it, it'd still be a piece of junk. You'd be better off investing money in a security system that interrupted the power to the fuel pump. Heck, even a $2 kill switch wired into the power for the fuel pump and hidden someplace would do a better job than a Prolock.

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man