Purpose of plastic deflector under the engine ???

I have a 2K GT and keep knocking off the plastic spoiler that's right under the radiator every time I go into a driveway thats too steep.

  1. What is the proper name of that part (it's attached via two plastic snap-in screws) ?

  1. Is there a source online that sells these? (mine is completely shot)

  2. Do they really do much? I'm assuming they are mostly to keep dirt off the bottom of the engine and maybe help with air flow.

Thanks Mark

Reply to
markg9

"Radiator Support Lower Front Air Deflector"

$15.40 for the GT. $24.04 for the Cobra R.

At a dealer near you.

They're really not worth shipping.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The purpose of these deflectors is to direct cool air into the radiator. I would recommend keeping it in place. In the old days the grill actually let enough air into the radiator to get the cooling job done. Nowadays with all the plastic bumpers sporting the "aero" look the grill is just ornamental and thus the need for the air deflectors under the bumpers to supply enough air to the radiator to allow proper cooling while the car is moving.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I'll second what Mike wrote. Those deflectors are VITALLY important to the proper cooling of the radiator/engine! Be sure to replace a broken one.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Yep, bottom feeders. Makes me wonder if the Mach I front spoiler is bad for cooling.

Reply to
GILL

who has them for Fox body now? havent seen it in the catalogs, and dealers dont do such old cars.

Reply to
Dear Leader

Year One? Maybe you local salvage yard.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:GvedndLll4YN9FfbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Do these things really help with cooling on Fox cars? Michael, do you have yours on your LX?

Reply to
Joe

1993 LX 5.0, I think only the junk yards have them, my air dam is bent back some

also would like to have new door hinges the part that bolts onto the car, seems like a weld broke off part that keeps the door open, Door hinges are OK, but a tab in the middle broke off on both doors 140K miles on it.

Reply to
Dear Leader

Mine still has it. I can't tell you if not having it makes a difference since I have never been without it. I can see where it will deflect a lot of air into the radiator when the car is moving. The grill doesn't let much air pass to the radiator so most of it has to come from under the bumper. On a basically stock engine it might not matter since the cooling system is over designed on most cars. I do believe Ford put it there for a reason though.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:rbWdnYDA6efahlbbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

difference

My issue is stand-still traffic. No air dam's going to help when the car's inching along at rush hour.

Reply to
Joe

Leave it off if you ask me. That part broke off my Saturn 6 years ago and I never replaced it. Haven't noticed any problem without it. Fred

Reply to
Fred

Oh, don't think so, Fred. My daughter's old '83 LTD (it's a Fox body just like the Mustangs) had chronic overheating issues when we first purchased the car. Then I noticed the deflector was missing. By simply reattaching a new deflector, the car's overheating problem vanished and never returned.

Lastly, the engineers don't put those deflectors on just for the hell of it. (If they could leave it off and save a dime they would.) They do serve a purpose, and that purpose is to deflect air up into the radiator. If you haven't noticed lately, most new cars don't have large grills. They're all "bottom-feeders".

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

it was a design change to remove the open front grill and close it off have a new look, so the air dam deflects it up into the radiator, there are some other plastic pieces around the front of the engine that help direct the airflow into the radiator.

Reply to
Dear Leader

My feeling is that the fan clutch takes over at slow speeds and having proper air flow at higher speeds requires the fan to be free spinning. At idle or slow speeds the engine typically isn't under much of a load as it can be at highway speeds. If the radiator isn't receiving enough air then the clutch will be engaging the fan and this might not move enough air to keep the engine cool when under a continuous load like going up a long grade. Also, having the fan engaged might reduce mileage somewhat. When moving at highway speeds RPMs are typically low so the fan can't move a lot of air where the air dam can shove it into the radiator at 60-70 mph. I don't see a downside to having the air dam in place.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:j9ydnUrErIPnN1bbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

completely

Agreed, but mine's long since gone. The car's lowered by 1-1/2" or so, and that was enough to have ripped the air dam off. As it is, I have to drive the car up onto 2" boards just to change the oil because I can't get under there. Rides like it's on rails though.. ;)

Reply to
Joe

If your car doesn't overheat then I wouldn't worry about it. Since I put the 2000 GT 17" rims and tires on my car I need to use boards to get it up the ramps.

Reply to
Michael Johnson