Question about titles or ownership for car.

Hi I would like to ask. I am in Canada and have a car that was bought in Texas US. I have a bill of sale but no ownership. How would this work to obtain ownership or title for this car? Can I use a title service in the US and how would this affect the border taxes and paper work? Thanks to all that reply.

Reply to
ledpeddle

How come the person who sold you the car didn't provide the title?

you can do a vin search on the car here..

Also.. contact your local vehicle registration office and find out if they can do a title transfer and registration without the original title and just the bill of sale.

If your local office requires a copy of an original title for the car, you will need to contact the person you bought it from and get the title from them or contact the state of Texas and ask them what their requirements are for filing for a *lost title*

Reply to
JC

You might note that the rules vary from state to state. In some areas, a bill of sale is sufficient for DMV to run a check for a clear title in order for the purchaser to register it. In some, it depends on what the vehicle status was prior to the sale (ie. nonop, registered, salvaged, etc.) what form may be presented.

Reply to
Spike

Ermmm, this might be a little too obvious but, you might try getting in touch with Canada Customs and Excise. You know, that piffling little entity that will have the last say on the deal????

Reply to
Jim Warman

LoL I know the tax man. I had a guy. Reputable company trailer this up and have his bill of sale in my name with his company name on it and signed. He did not give me the papers I phoned and he said revin the car LOL. I live in Ontario,Canada. I was just wondering without border papers what chance do I have to get a ownership? Even if its through titles are us. Any ideas for me ? Thanks guys for all the replies.

Reply to
ledpeddle

In the 90s, I took a Buick Regal with a blown engine on trade for a T-Bird.... two Americans passing through on their way to Alaska.... I didn't have to worry about any border crossing so I can't help with that part.... As I recall, we handled everything else over the phone.

Reply to
Jim Warman

The answer is easy - call the MTO (min of transport) and ask them.

Michel.

Reply to
MJT

So, what I see here is that you are trying to get ownership to a stolen car.......???? Yup, re-vin it... you bought a stolen car. OR Maybe the guy you bought it from owes a bank note on it? Maybe he kept your money instead of paying off a note, and you are gonna get screwed. That's how it looks from this part of the country. I would guess that your chances are like a snowball's chance in hell, sorry guy. Hope you get it though. I would love to be completely wrong on this.

Kate

: >

: LoL I know the tax man. I had a guy. Reputable company trailer this up and : have his bill of sale in my name with his company name on it and signed. He : did not give me the papers I phoned and he said revin the car LOL. I live in : Ontario,Canada. I was just wondering without border papers what chance do I : have to get a ownership? Even if its through titles are us. Any ideas for : me ? Thanks guys for all the replies. : :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

If there are no problems with the ownership, you should be able to request a copy of the title from the state where it was registered last since you have a Bill of Sale. Might cost a couple of dollars. If there is a problem it should be for the seller for failure to notify the state of the sale, and possibly for not providing you with a title.

Reply to
Spike

Kate I see your input but the guy I bought from gave me a copy of the signed ownership from Texas. That makes the car not stolen. I had a company legit trailer it up from Texas accross the border to my place. So he had to of passed through with the title and paper work. I how ever never recieved the paper work but gave me a writen bill of sale with the company name on it with the cars vin. I checked the bill of sale and it does state as is. But does not state for parts only. I did go to the MTO and ran the vin. Its not regestered here in Ontario. What is my next step? Thanks all

Reply to
ledpeddle

Kate I do not think that the border would allow a stolen car through they have to run the title first before its brought over here. I think the guy that trailered it did not bother to give me the paper work. I am getting in touch with the guy in Texas and get a new title sent here. I hope.. Thanks Dave.

Reply to
ledpeddle

ledpeddle wrote: Snip...

Should have done that to begin with.

Reply to
Blue Gator

: > Kate : >

: Kate I see your input but the guy I bought from gave me a copy of the signed : ownership from Texas. That makes the car not stolen. I had a company legit : trailer it up from Texas accross the border to my place. So he had to of : passed through with the title and paper work. I how ever never recieved the : paper work but gave me a writen bill of sale with the company name on it : with the cars vin. I checked the bill of sale and it does state as is. But : does not state for parts only. I did go to the MTO and ran the vin. Its not : regestered here in Ontario. What is my next step? Thanks all : I still think that somehting is fishy. The guy may SEEM legit, but I'm telling you, something is up with this car. I live in the US, so I don't know how Canada does it. To the best of my knowledge, you will have to go through several steps to register it.

1) determine the state it was last registered in 2) find out who the last owner of the vehicle was 3) contact said owner, get THEM to apply for a new title, takes several weeks, 4) have them sign it and send ot to you

If the vehicle was last registered in Texas, you might be able to call the a Texas department of motor vehicles and tell them your story, see what they tell you to do . It really would be your best bet. Here's a link for Texas DMV info, maybe it will be a starting place for you.

I do hope that once you get this all sorted out that you will post the results.

Best of luck to you man.

Kate

:
Reply to
KJ.Kate

"Blue Gator" wrote

: ledpeddle wrote: : Snip... : > I am getting in touch with the guy in Texas and get a new title sent here. I hope.. : >

: >

: Should have done that to begin with.

Hey, everyone has to learn sometime...

Reply to
KJ.Kate

My 65FB was bought "as is" with a handwritten bill of sale. It had previously been registered with the state of California as "non-op". I took the bill of sale to the DMV office where they charged me for a new title, and registered it in my name as non-op. Then, when it was roadworthy, it was registered fully (operational), and I had to pay some back monies ($126 total). The seller later found the original registration and sent it to me.

The 66 FB I had before that was bought out of state and trucked to me by a local collector car company. They completed standard sales forms used by auto sales in California, and I got a new title in the mail.

In fact, California DMV has forms online which can be downloaded and completed for the sale and transferal of an auto. Texas may also have similar forms available which the person who sold the car to you can download, complete and send to you.

I would still recommend you contact the state Department of Motor Vehicles, usually listed under the sate name .gov (ie

and have them run a check of the VIN and see what is required to obtain a clear title.

Reply to
Spike

Yes when it cost money I admit I was lacking and it should of been done 3 years ago wish me luck. Thanks for all your input. I will let you know whats happening.

Reply to
ledpeddle

Best of luck to ya kid. If you keep at em, you'll get there.

Kate

: > "Blue Gator" wrote : >

: > : ledpeddle wrote: : > : Snip... : > : > I am getting in touch with the guy in Texas and get a new title sent : > here. I hope.. : > : >

: > : >