Question: CA seatbelt law

My '71 Grande has a seat belt plus shoulder harness that the driver needs to attach to the seat belt in a second action. I always wear both belts but have been challenged by passengers that the shoulder harness is "optional" according to the law. "optional" equals "stupid" in my mind, but from a law enforcement standpoint; is the shoulder harness "optional"? California car.

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

Technically, the law is you must use the shoulder belt, but they've never stopped me on it.

Reply to
vince garcia

Shoulder belts became a federal mandate in '68.

Scott W. '68 Ranchero '69 Mustang TS #57

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

Is there any way to make the shoulder harness more comfortable to wear? Do they make replacement belts/harnesses for this model?

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

I've never cared to look for one, so I cannot say. As noted, I wear the lap belt and the cops have never stopped me, so I would use the lap belt and just play ignorant. I don't think you'll get in trouble if they stop you and see you're actually wearing the safer lap belt in that old a rig

Reply to
vince garcia

Could just remove it like it was never there. Then again, if the cop doesn't know what to do, they will write a ticket and let the judge figure it out.

Probably safer to wear the whole rig. Just wish I could find something more comfortable.

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

Depending on what you consider uncomfortable, you could replace it with a later model, which may require some modifications to the vehicle mounting points, possibly replace it with an aftermarket 3 point system (what I have for my 65 FB), or get one of those sheepskin pads.

As for the cops.... since your car was produced after the mandatory law went into effect AND the shoulder belt is there, failure to wear it would technically be a violation. Still, enforcement can vary from one cop to the next. One thing is to not be obvious about not wearing the shoulder belt. I was generally too busy to be watching for seatbelt violations, HOWEVER, nothing invites me to pull them over like a seatbelt hanging out of the car, or a shoulder belt flapping in the wind. Tighten that shoulder belt down so it doesn't flop around, but don't do anything permanent which would show an intent to avoid compliance. Rubberband(s) as opposed to screw(s).

Personally, I hated the shoulder belts, but, for safety, I wore them until they became an unconscious habit. Another point you might consider. The way insurance companies are (and they are getting worse) you might find they refuse to pay if it can be shown that you didn't wear the complete system. Essentially, you would have failed to mitigate damages by non-compliance. Or they may pay and cancel you.

Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

There are some clips that you can get that adjust the point where the harness crosses over your shoulder. It may be a thought, ot maybe a pad to go over your shoulder.

I always get rubbed across my neck, well, did until the rig I drive now.

You must surely know, that the officers have seen more than one person playing ignorant. Trust me, they won't buy it. Cops have heard it all, seen it all and more than once too. You may think you have an original excuse, but tons of other people have come up with the same thing.

Best bet, ask someone in law enforcement ping SPIKE in the group, he may know for sure. It may be something that each individual officer would make a judgement call on too. One may be ok, the next may be pissed off cause his boss/wife/girlfriend was on his ass earlier in the day and he may decide that he is tired of putting up with lies and excuses.

I suggest you continue to wear both belts, for your own safety AND insist that your hammerheaded passengers do the same. When they start making stupid excuses, remind them that (last time I was there) improper use or lack of a seatbelt was a $250 fine, see if it means that much to them. If so, then tell em to cough it up before you start the engine.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

On target and well said!!!!! :0)