Question for the Experts

Hi All,

I have a 1985 GT Stock. I was wondering if an 8.8 Rear-end with 3.73 gears will wake it up a bit. Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Steph

"Steph" wrote in news:c25cds$bk3$ snipped-for-privacy@dns3.cae.ca:

I'm no expert, but a higher ratio (numerically) rear will definitely give you more "snap". Of course, the downside is that you'll be turning higher RPMs at any given speed.

What's your ratio now - 2.73, 3.08, or 3.27? Going from 2.73 to 3.73 will be pretty noticeable (that's what I did on my '93), but from a

3.27 to a 3.73 might not be enough. If you've got the 3.27, consider a 4.11.

Joe

Joe,

Right now according to specs I am running a 7.5 rear-end with 3.35 gears. Supposedly it will give her more bite. What is the big deal about the 8.8 rear end??

Reply to
Steph

The 8.8 is stronger... less prone to breakage. The gearing will definately give you more bite. I'm not sure Ford ever produced a 3.35 gear.. at least not in the 7.5 or 8.8 carriers. 3.55 perhaps.... or 3.27.. those are the two closest your ratio.

I'll also have to ask if you have an automatic or a 5-speed... one requires a taller gear (though I'm not sure which). I have an '85 GT auto that I'm looking to unload... CFI was the worst idea Ford ever decided to throw at a Mustang...

JS

Reply to
JS

Are you sure you've got 3.35s? If so, I'll bet they're not stock. I'm pretty sure the only available factory ratios were 2.73, 3.08, or

3.27.

The 8.8 is a stronger unit than the 7.5; I think Ford started using them on their V-8 cars in '86.

"Steph" wrote in news:c25kr0$nvq$ snipped-for-privacy@dns3.cae.ca:

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
E Spriggs

Reply to
Steph

What'd he put in it for $1000? Aside from the gear set, what else? Locker? Axles? A $1000 unit for $200 sounds fishy, unless something's wrong with it. Why's he getting rid of it?

"Steph" wrote in news:c27f93$n62$ snipped-for-privacy@dns3.cae.ca:

Reply to
Joe

Yeah, that's about what mine does too. I went from a 2.73 to a 3.73 and it was beautiful, especially with the AOD. The gear set, along with the Auburn, were the best mods I did to the car. The Auburn is just rock solid.

"E Spriggs" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Joe

He got rid of it cause his car was getting painted and the shop caught fire. A beam fell on the car. The insurance comapny wrote off the car but he stripped from it what he could since the car only suffered damage from the beam mostly and not the fire. So now he has the rear-end sitting in his shed.

How hard is it to change the oil in the diff and what will I need?

Reply to
Steph

It's pretty easy... on my 8.8 anyway. Get a new gasket (recommended) for the case cover which you're going to unbolt & remove to let all the fluid drain out... and then there is a fill hole where you pump new differential fluid in until it starts barely coming out (it's full). So make sure you have basic socket set & ratchet, new gasket, differential fluid, friction modifier (available from Ford dealership for less than $5), some rags, and a small hand pump (O'Reilly has 'em around here for real decent price). Took me about 35 mins the first time.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Note to self.... on a stock 8.8 (and 7.5) there is no gasket... it's just RTV'd on there. A gasket would probably be preferred, but if goozed up real good, it's not necessary.

JS

Reply to
JS

Ah... well I had a gasket when I removed it... got a new one from Ford dealership.. forgot how much I paid, but it wasn't cheap really.

-Mike