Questions on 1988 LX 5.0 Litre 5 Speed Transmission

Hi - I am looking for a good low buck performance car and have tracked down a very clean LX notchback - everything seems good except the tranmission - the basic problem is that it is quite hard shifting and when I am driving it it pops out of 3rd gear - this car is at a used car dealer and the dealer is telling me that he thinks this is caused by the clutch cable which is quite frayed and stretched

The tranny seems good other wise - the clutch engagement is very good - no slipping - there are no noises pointing to anything like a throw out bearing - the transmission gets easier to shift as it warms up but it still takes a lot of effort rowing it through the gears

I have driven standards for year ( present vehicles - 93 Ranger 5 speed and 79 Mazda RX-7 with a 5 speed ) I know these vehicles are amoung the best for slick and easy shifting transmissions and that it is not the best basis of comparision to put them side by side with a transmission dealing with the torque of a 5 litre but still I dont think it should be old farm truck stiff.

I have never driven one of these cars but from what I understand from reading articles is that the T-5 is a bit notchy but still pretty slick shifting

Any diagnosis or advice would be appreciated - I really like this car but would like to know what sort of issues I might be facing here - if the clutch cable diagnosis from the dealer sounds right that would be good to know also

Thanks

Reply to
donsjunkk

where are you located??

Reply to
J. Sprauer

The Clutch has absolutely NOTHING to do with a transmission popping out of gear. As for the hard shifting , if it gets easier to shift as it warms up I doubt it has to do with the clutch cable either...

Sounds like some fairly EXPENSIVE transmission repairs are in order. My guess is that the transmission is fairly well worn out, and if it is, it won't be the only part of the car that is...

Do yourself a big favor and call or stop by a local transmission shop and get their take on it, as well as a price quote for rebuilding this transmission. My guess is the transmission repairs will equal or exceed the price you would pay for the entire car...

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ

Looks like Ottawa...

But 351CJ is right - the symptoms don't translate to the clutch cable. If donsjunkk is lucky, it's "only" a replacement of flywheel/clutch plate. But without an honest indication from the dealer, I'd walk away. Quickly.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

It's a 17 year old performance car. It's been beaten pretty hard over the years. Major components will most likely be ready for a melt down. If there's a lot of miles (>100K), expect the suspension to be wearing out as well. How is the body, sub-frames, and interior? Depending on what your goals are, this may or may not be the right car. If you want something to build up to something special, this may be it. If it's otherwise solid, I would make a deal on this car knowing that it needs a new trans at least. A new HD T5 ready to bolt in will cost you about $1200. You could even consider a T56 or TKO, depending on your engine goals. OTOH, if you're looking for a performance car that's ready to go, this isn't it. Plan on spending a lot more money for a newer car with less miles.

Reply to
.boB

89 is speed density. If you plan to change heads cam and intake you'll have a lot of trouble without an MAF engine.
Reply to
WindsorFox

My 89 is MAF. Wasn't that the year they changed over?

Arlie Cooper

Reply to
Blue Gator

Nope,89s got that new fangled MAF....danged wipper snappers

Reply to
GILL

It's an 88. If it's not a California car, it's speed density. 89 was the first 48 states mass air.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Popping out of 3rd may be a sign of a bent frame.

Reply to
Bob Willard

donsjunkk, Third gear clusters are the weak link in a T5. A rebuild isn't all that expensive if the rest of the car meets your expectations. Get the dealer to take $300-400US off the sale price for the repairs...if he doesn't, walk.

Brad

Reply to
bradtx

Yes, I meant 88 which is what he nentioned. The 88 is speed density unless it's a Cal. version.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I had an 87 GT with same powertrain. While the difficulty shifting might be clutch related, the popping out of third sounds like a transmission issue. My 87 had the same popping out of third issue and a rebuild with new synchros, blocking rings, bearings was the solution.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

Sncryos,broken gear teeth and blocking rings $1200 to fix ready to go Then you'll have a brand new transmission and the engine if the oil has been changed could last 180k without neding a rebuild how much they asking for the car? take $1000 bucks off price because you'll go right to the transmission shop after leaving the car lot. five minutes of not being able to beat on the thing will make you crazy.

Reply to
dave

Sounds like a synchro problem, and that is not too difficult to fix with a T5 rebuild kit and some knowhow. You can see a how-to rebuild a T5 article here are download the manual. I would not let a worn T5 shy you away from a good 88 coupe. Used T5's can be had for a few hundred dollars...check craigslist.org or ebay.

T5 Rebuild:

FordMuscle

Sounds like a synchro problem, and that is not too difficult to fix with a T5 rebuild kit and some knowhow. You can see a how-to rebuild a T5 article here are download the manual. I would not let a worn T5 shy you away from a good 88 coupe. Used T5's can be had for a few hundred dollars...check craigslist.org or ebay.

T5 Rebuild:

FordMuscle

I could be mistaken, but I believe '89's were MAF. My '89 LX 5.0 notchback was MAF for sure. 88's were SD.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Reply to
keith w

I'd be willing to bet the tranny has a bent shift linkage, it was that 2nd to 3rd gear shift that made all those over priced aftermarket shifters, the ones with the built in stops, so popular a while back, bending that rod was really easy.

dealers.the

Reply to
Ironrod