Questions on Maintaining an aging 95 Cobra

Its still got the original Goodyear GSC's, belt, hoses and clutch.......and its got about 19K miles on the OD.

It also spends winter sitting in my garage.......this year the battery gave up the ghost so its off to Sears for a replacement.

Question: Do I need to be concerned about the GSC's being close to 10 years old? I drive this car in the summertime, don't really beat on it, don't race it.....just concerned about the tires themselves...they appear fine but.....??

Also, the hoses and belt...should I get these replaced simply out of caution? That belt has stayed in one position for many months in a cold new england winter...and does this every year.

Finally, I've noticed that on hot days I get some pretty bad clutch fade...now, I realize its only got about 18k miles on it but its the car I taught myself to drive stick on....this means lots of feathered clutches and whatnot, so its not inconceivable to think the clutch may need replacing...but what would cause the problem only in HOT weather...?? As in suddenly I have to push my foot all the way to the floor to get the clutch to engage/disengage, and then I have to muscle it out of gear.........

Can anyone recommend a good replacement clutch (read: Durable) and really strong cable system??? Thx

Reply to
HeadRusch

Sunlight and ground level ozone are the biggest 'passive' threats to rubber products...... If there's still plenty of tread left and there is no significant checking or cracking on the sidewalls and/or tread, you should be fine in that respect. Under the hood , while sunlight isn't much of a problem, we have constant and sometimes extreme thermocycling plus occasional attacks from petroleum products and fumes. We are told that anything after 3 or 4 years on belts and hoses is "borrowed time" though most people get twice that (and more) easily. If you like to tinker as much as you like to drive, monthly inspections of underhood components should reveal any problems in the making and give plenty of time for a convenient repair (notice I said inspection and not cursory glance). If you're one of those that prefers the hood closed, I would suggest biting the bullet and replacing hoses and belt..... peace of mind has a grand calming influence.

If you opt for replacing hoses, many heater hoses are contoured..... there is always a very real urge to save a few bucks and use bulk heater hose. I have seen in the past where bulk hose has made a nice installation but after a few thermocycles, any sharp bends can collapse the hose and cause grief down the road.

HTH

clutch.......and

Reply to
Jim Warman