Quick question

Why is it bad - so I've heard - to start your car (5-spd 5.0) from a stop in second gear?

With the stock 2.73s I can still easily start moving in 2nd, and being that 2nd has a top speed of 70mph, I never have to shift on the brutal commute home... It's pretty nice.

Should I not do this?

Thanks all.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Think clutch..... Starting out in second requires that you slip the clutch that little bit more (or a lot more for some).... This builds heat and wears friction surfaces more quickly.

Look at it this way.... you paid for that first gear - might as well get some use out of it...

With the stock 2.73s I can still easily start moving in 2nd, and being that

2nd has a top speed of 70mph, I never have to shift on the brutal commute home... It's pretty nice.

Should I not do this?

Thanks all.

Brad

Reply to
Jim Warman

has a top speed of 70mph, I never have to shift on the brutal commute home... It's pretty nice.

Because you are not using it as designed. You will wear out your clutch, pressure plate & possibly throw-out bearing faster.

A better question would be; why would you want to do this? If you don't enjoy shifting (driving) then buy & automatic and just steer.

Reply to
Zombywoof

You could have bought an automatic. Easier yet:)

With the stock 2.73s I can still easily start moving in 2nd, and being that 2nd has a top speed of 70mph, I never have to shift on the brutal commute home... It's pretty nice.

Should I not do this?

Thanks all.

Brad

Reply to
Big Al

You can do it but it won't gain you anything except not having to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. It will accelerate clutch wear and tear, reduce your gas mileage and add unnecessary stress to the drive train.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Gotcha all loud and clear. Thanks guys... Like Warman said, I paid for that first gear, might was well use it... lol!

Thanks guys!

Brad

You can do it but it won't gain you anything except not having to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. It will accelerate clutch wear and tear, reduce your gas mileage and add unnecessary stress to the drive train.

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Besides, when some chebbie pulls up beside you and revs it up to issue a challenge, you don't want to be in the wrong gear!

Smoke his ass!

Reply to
John

With the stock 2.73s I can still easily start moving in 2nd, and being that 2nd has a top speed of 70mph, I never have to shift on the brutal commute home... It's pretty nice.

2nd gear at 70MPH?? at what RPM? 7000? You also pay for 3rd gear. May as well use that to.
Reply to
Gumby

With the stock 2.73s I can still easily start moving in 2nd, and being that 2nd has a top speed of 70mph, I never have to shift on the brutal commute home... It's pretty nice.

2nd gear at 70MPH?? at what RPM? 7000? You also pay for 3rd gear. May as well use that to.

i know what you mean. i used to drive a 5.0 5 speed through rush hour traffic. Many times you go from either a dead stop or creeping along at 2-5 mile per hour to 60 or so in a matter of a few seconds then slow right back down to 25 MPH or so. It gets to be a pain to shift up and down soemtimes 6 shifts in a minute. i used to lug my car in second from 20 to 60 and back again often. ( i don't know about 7000 rpm to 70 mph in second but i know that i could get to 105 mph in third with out hitting the red line) Also having the car in second gear allowed the use of engine or compresion braking. drove the car for four years never neeeded a clutch or had any trany problems

Reply to
walt peifer

Yip... with the 2.73s you can do 70 in 2nd. The rpm is, if I remember, about 5,000. At 60mph in 5th it's barely over idle. I guess with the gas prices today that is one nice thing about those 2.73s.

Brad