Radiator fan problem

I saw someone else post & it reminded me... my radiator fan *sometimes* (seemingly randomly) stays on after I turn the car off & I mean STAYS on. Sometimes it stays on for only a few seconds, but usually as long as it takes to kill the battery. Any idea what it might be? TIA! Oh btw.. 98 Mustang GT 4.6litre. Thx =).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Nobody know?

Reply to
<memset

Well, looking at a '97 service manual it could be:

- Circuit. Look for the obvious broken wire or unintentional ground that may be completing the fan circuit, etc.

- Constant control relay module (CCRM). located on the inner fender, above/near the air cleaner. which controls the fan.

- Powertrain control module. aka the main computer

- Engine coolant temperature sensor. Check ohms of the sensor...if it's high (like infinity) it's open and should be replaced.

The CCRM and PCM tests were quite involved and way above my expertise.

My guess is if the gauge works ok, then it's not the sensor.

So...check what you can.

Reply to
Nick Burns

I noticed that the actual plug that connects to the fan itself is pretty cooked. Like... one of the holes in it or a "socket" or whatever is cracked... seems like there's a short somewhere. A local reputable shop (and also my regular mechanic) says a bad relay. I can't afford to have it fixed at the moment. I hafta keep pulling the fuse when it decides to do so.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset