radiator support - 1986 Capri 5.0

My 86 Mercury Capri 5.0 recently had a front end collision and am in need of a radiator support. I am seeing several versions at the typical online storefronts, one for 83-89, and a version for 90-93. The later version is indicated as having "reinforcement panels". Can anyone provide any insight into what is reinforced and if the newer piece will fit my '86? Unfortunately I have no frame of reference since my original piece is mangled and has had the top cut off as I break the car down for a rebuild. If anyone can do a side-by side comparison, that would be great.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike Lenker

Sometimes the header panel (the fiberglass piece behind the plastic bumper cover that supports the headlights, etc) is refered to as a reinforcement panel. I don't see how the '90 and later would be any different, or include the piece when the earlier didn't. I recently replaced the front end on my '89 LX and from what I couild tell the '87-'93s were all the same. (My core support was OK)

Isn't the header panel on all 79-86 Capris the same ? I think the important question for you is if the later one will accept the Capri's header panel, regardless of weather it has better "reinforcement"

Good luck with the Capri, they are nice cars.

rd

Reply to
RD Jones