Rain, rain, go away

Let's review...

WAY back in March and April, I wanted to put TFrog into the shop. It was running rough and the trans hadn't been right in years. But we were getting ready to buy a new home after 21 years.

We moved in May, and I dawdled around, trying to find good shops in my new area. Found a respectable mechanic, and dropped $500 on a tune-up for TFrog. It did run better after that. But, still, it was painful starting up in first gear (clutch shudder something fierce) and I had to learn to drive without a 2nd gear.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and dropped the car off at a local transmission repair shop. They did a wonderful job, and I now have all five gears PLUS reverse.

Then came the October inspection. Nothing major, just a rear brake binding up and, just for kicks, they relocated a fuel line to move it further away from my exhaust system. TFrog failed the emissions test, but I had them thoroughly warm the car up and try again. Passed with its usual flying colors.

I picked the car up Thursday night (the 9th of 10 straight rainy days), tanked it up, and put it to bed. Drove it to work Friday, and it seemed to be running rough again. On the way home, it had almost no power, and it didn't want to go above 2300RPM - in any gear. What the hell?

The engine was starving. Mentally reviewing everything I know about mechanics, I figured that it was a lack of either air or gas. Removing (and replacing) the air filter had no effect, so it must be fuel. Did the mechanic pinch my fuel line when he moved it?

I would have cut the grass on Saturday, but the ground was still soaked. Best to let it dry up a day or two before leaving ruts in the lawn. Soaked. Hmmmmm.

Bought myself some of that "water remover" and poured it into the gas tank. About 30 miles of tooling around, and TFrog started regaining power. After

50 miles, I was up on the highway blowing it out. Yep, water in the gas. Took a while, but I drained that tank to below E, then poured in some injector cleaner with the next tank, just for thrills.

The engine is fine, the transmission is fine, and TFrog is fun to drive again. Finally, after six months of being too busy, I've polished and waxed it back to a shiny black (inside my new garage, thank you very much). A lot has happened this year, but it's time to get ready for that nice cold weather.

TFrog is back. 185,000 miles and looking forward to turning it over again about this time next year...

dwight

dwight

(snip)

BUT.... where did the water come from? That could be a serious point to ponder....

Ah, but the sun WILL come out "tomorrow" and TFrog will be ready!!!

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video. Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpgFeb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpgJul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpgJul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/Engine_rebuild_006.jpg
Reply to
Spike

The water came with the tank of gas I bought last Thursday night. And this was a very busy gas station. How many other drivers out there are suffering the effects?

In this case, water in the gas was the best possible outcome. Otherwise, either something else entirely had decided to break down coincidentally, or the new mechanic didn't know his ass from ... well, didn't know his stuff. Since we're still in the trust-building stage, a major screw-up on his part would have ended the relationship forthwith and with forth.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

It's good that you know where the water came from. You wouldn't want to find out later that a filler tube connection was loose or broken. My dad just had that with his Bronco. They have a metal neck at the gas cap. That is connected to a rubber sleeve which joins it to a metal extension from the tank. The rubber sleeve had become cracked and water followed the metal neck to the sleeve, where it entered the line into the tank.

Many years ago, I had a 65 Mustang and the trunk seal was bad. It rained a lot in Seattle, so the water go into the trunk. Unknown to me was that tine pinholes had eaten through the top of the tank (which is the floor of the trunk). I discovered the problem in reverse when I filled up the tank one day and ended up with about 1/4 inch of fuel in the trunk. Smell this gas smell and tracked it back, opened the trunk, saw what was there, and threw my cigarette as far away from the car as I could. It was a Friday night and I was planning on having a hot time.... but not that hot!!!!!!

And thank the lucky stars you aren't driving a diesel. I recall a guy with a Mercedes who said he couldn't get over 25mph due to water in the fuel.... all the way from down Bangor (ME) way, to Caribou.

So, did you contact the station about the water in their tanks? And are they going to reimburse you for the gas wasted?

Best of all, no serious damage.... and isn't that the open road calling???????? : 0 ) Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video. Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpgFeb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpgJul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpgJul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/Engine_rebuild_006.jpg
Reply to
Spike

It was pretty cut and dried. The car started acting up almost immediately after I filled up the tank, and that was really the only factor that had changed since I picked up the car at the shop.

Ever see idiots smoking while filling up the gas tank?

Nope, nada. Never said a word. Probably only about 4 gallons of gas went through before I added the water remover. And now, that tank is a fading memory already.

Sure is! And it's a good thing TFrog is a "mudder", 'cause it's going to rain here all weekend. But I'll still be out and about, watching the water bead up on my hood.

:()

Reply to
dwight

i would like to see pictures of this 185,000 mile TFrog if you dont have any on line go to cardomain.com and let others admire your stang.let us know where the pictures are. check mine out at link below visit guestbook and leave opinion thanks BILL302

bill302

WindsorFox