Raining

It never rains but it pours.

I finally listed the Princessmobile for sale

andI'm getting some interest in the car. But somebody must have told it that itwas on the trading block, 'cause the rear main seal is suddenly leaking likea sieve. Looks like it doesn't WANT to be sold. And maybe that's a good thing. The Frog ('93 LX 5.0) now has a new leak in the radiator, and I'll be needing a spare car again. I'll have the '88 fixed on Monday, so I can drive it while the Frog is in the shop. Time to upgrade.

Nothing fancy, but I'm looking at the Ford Racing "heavy duty" radiator, the aluminum 3-row. Anybody have any personal experience with one? And, while I'm at it, my fan is cracked; how 'bout the Flex-a-lite Black Magic?

dwight (10 years, and only 161,000 miles... Can't Ford make a radiator that lasts, for god's sake?)

Reply to
dwight

I installed the FRP M8005C two row radiator and the Flex-a-lite "Black Magic" electric fan in 2000. The radiator is thicker that the original, as expected, but it didn't take much to make it fit. The three row might be a little harder.

The fan was a pretty straight-forward install since they provided all the brackets, screws, circuit breaker and wires. I got tired of getting down on my knees to adjust the thermostat when I autocrossed, though, so I copied a guy in the Saleen group who had installed his upside down. That put all the wiring underneath, giving a much cleaner look, and the thermostat control on top, where it is *much* easier to adjust. The only problem I've had with the fan was a bad thermostat a couple weeks after I installed it. They sent me a new one right away and I haven't had another problem since.

Reply to
Blue Gator

$150, and I'll buy you lunch!

Sam(uel) '95 GT not stock anymore

Modless Wonder #1)

Reply to
Marauder302

I actually thought of giving you right of first refusal, but I have this thing about selling a used car to a friend. I think that, in horse trading, it's "better the devil you don't know".

I bought this car in '99 for $3,000, and proceeded to sink another $2,000 into it. But it's 15 years old with over 100,000 on the clock. There's a laundry list of things that are broken, need attention, or are on the back list to be fixed when time and $$$ allow. Obviously, the mechanicals are fine - new tires, brakes, struts, springs, etc., but it's the little annoying things (the perpetually full gas tank, the driver door refuses to lock, the A/C that doesn't cool) that eventually have to be addressed...

I'll never see my $5,000 again. For that price, I got to teach my daughter to drive, spend YET ANOTHER $2,000 having the car repaired after her fender-benders, and use the convertible myself as a spare or fun-time car for four years. The current asking price is, shall we say, somewhat under the $3,000 price in 1999.

But, even with full disclosure, the next owner is going to find problems that even I didn't know about, and this can only cause ill will. Where money is involved, I'm reluctant to involve friends.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

$200 and I won't buy you lunch, but will take you for one hell of an "E" Ticket ride in my current 427SC Cobra.....................

Bill S.

Marauder302 wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Hey... I don't understand the whole e-Bay thing, with reserves and minimums and secret threshhold prices... But I DO know that $150.00 is so below my asking price that I might as well KEEP the car. After all, I do like driving the thing...

Right now, I've got five cars in the family. My two Mustangs, Jean's Mystique, Princess' automatic point-and-shoot Escort, and The Boy's new wondertoy, an ancient Plymouth Horizon that he picked up for $500.00 (and what I consider the Anti-Car). Now that the two kids are back living at home, the neighbors are doing the nightly scramble for a parking place, so I thought I'd help them out by divesting myself of the spare.

Besides, I'm more and more leaning to the option that Joe pointed out last year (or so). I'm thinking of buying a 5.0 LX convertible and throwing all of my mod money into THAT car, keeping the Frog stock...

Best of both worlds.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

My wife used the word "crappy" this morning, talking about the Frog with its radiator spewing fluid like a severed artery... AGAIN she says that I should buy a new car (until I bring up the price, that is).

The '93 would need my original plan - a complete gutting and replacement of everything from air intake to exhaust. With trans and new paint, I'm pushing $15,000 in makeover costs. Yes, it would be a fantastic car for another 10 years /150K miles, but... There's that 2005 prototype sitting out there calling to me...

Decisions, decisions...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:bgjekc$nv8d5$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

Ouch! That hurts. I've been there too - my wife just doesn't understand why I keep the LX.

Prices for new cars are indeed high, but some of the finance/cash back deals are real good now. I'll bet they get even better towards year end.

We're in exactly the same boat with regards to our LXs. There's enough stuff that needs attention that by the time we're done, we're into 5 figures. It's a tough call.

I can tell you now (hindsight being 20/20) that if I had another car to drive in the meantime, I probably would've had the LX redone from the ground up with even a few more goodies thrown in. But at the time, I didn't want to spend a grand or two on a beater to drive while the LX underwent major surgery. The other factors that pushed me towards the Dakota were that (a) it's a truck, which is very useful, (b) it was brand, spanking new with a 7/70 warranty, and (c) it's a TorqueMonster.

It was definitely a tough choice. So now I have a double dilemna - I want to get more goodies for both vehicles. ;) But in all seriousness, the LX needs a makeover before it gets more mods. I'd love to go to the 5-lug 4-wheel disc conversion, and redo the entire drivetrain with the engine. Maybe get a nice LenTech AOD along with a rebuild on the engine and a nice Kenne Bell to top it off.

But for now, the LX sits in the garage all week (sometimes two or three in a row), and comes out for an occasional romp. It's staying preserved fairly nicely, and I'm probably going to give it to my son in several years. I'd love to see him build it up one day. He drools over it several times a week...

Joe

There's a guy I met at the last All Ford Nationals in Carlisle who was selling a triple white automatic 93 LX. It had 11k miles and in beautiful condition inside and out. The guy lives in Mechanicsburg PA. Since I was playing spectator that day, I got a couple of shots of his car. He gave me his business card in case I found someone interested. I don't know if he sold it or not, but if you're interested, let me know and I'll e-mail you his phone number. Here's the links:

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R