RAMFM - How I remember thee...

Wow,

I haven't visited anything related to USENET in quite a while. I didn't even set it up when I got my current laptop. I thought I'd stop by ol' RAMFM and see if it was still alive.

I guess it is, however nothing like the good ol' days...

I was amazed to see through the Google Groups stats that my old AOL address is still the #4 poster in the history of the group. Considering I haven't been on AOL for at least 5 years, I guess I had some time on my hands back then.

Of course Patrick is still leading the charge.

Although I haven't had a Mustang since New NoOp showed up back around

1999, my father just picked up one of the triple white limited edition converts a couple of months ago. He's in the process of doing a lot of work on it to get it back near original condition. It has a LONG ways to go too!

I still miss having a 5.0, which is what brought me to this group back around 1996. I haven't ruled out getting another one as it would be a good car for me to drive to the park and ride 4 days a week to leave it for 11 hours. But I doubt that I'll find one cheap enough that hasn't been abused. The nicer ones I see these days are still asking in the $7-8K range, which is about half what was paid for them back in the late 80's, early 90's.

Considering I can get a 2006 GTO with the LS2, 6speed, and around

10,000 miles on it for under $25K these days, it can be hard to look back to the old 5.0's. At the same time, I could probably pay cash for the Mustang as opposed to still having to finance the GTO. Of course the warranty on the GTO would be nice too, as I've spent $8000 in the last two years on my 99 Ranger to have a new long block and the trans "fixed" (not rebuild, mind you). For that $8000, I could have probably found a 90's notchback with around 50,000 miles on it.

Oh well, I thought I'd stop by and take a look at the place. With the web-based forums, it's obviously not what it once was. It's almost "exclusive" again though, since nobody seems to pay attention to USENET anymore.

Hmmmm, I should see if I can find Anthony again. Last I heard from him he was in Texas.

Aloha,

Steve The original "shit disturber" among other things...

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

"A Guy Named Steve" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@42g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

probably

Glad to see you again, Steve. Happy New Year, among other things... ;)

Joe

Hey Steve...still got the Buick GS? You could probably sell it these days for a half a bazillion bucks the way the 68-72's have exploded these days!

Jimmy

A Guy Named Steve wrote:

Reply to
Jimmy

Hey Joe and Jimmy,

I haven't had the GS since 2003. I sold it to a guy back in Jersey who was doing a frame-off on a 71 GS455 convert. I think he wanted a matching hardtop to restore. I should shoot him an email to see how it came along.

I've got a 72 Skylark, although it's been almost 2 years since it had a motor. I spun a rod bearing while testing it at the track. It still went 13.5 @ 106 mph through the traps in 2nd gear (2.56 open rear). It should be running in the high 11's when done - hopefully. Last I heard was that the short block was together and they were going to measure the length of pushrod that I needed. The costs are down, but the time to finish is long. It's a tradeoff, but I've had plenty of other things that needed the money aimed towards them lately.

~Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I see a good number of them here in La. too. Are you still way up in the top left corner?

I thought that was "Assrhino"??

HAND- Yer pal, Needledick...

Reply to
WindsorFox

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Hey Michael,

I've been to Quantico a total of five times now. It seems like the more I'm there, the busier I find myself with class stuff. I'm going back again in a few weeks, although I don't know how busy we'll be outside of classes. We do have a research project to do a part of the class, which I'll likely do on my own time.

I still remember the food you served my first time out - you just don't get that steamed shrimp/prawns around here like that!

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I just realized that I wasn't the original shit disturber. I was the original head of the bashing department. Unfortunately Google groups doesn't go back to 1996. I also liked my quote about adding it to my "threat collection" (Dirty Harry).

Aw the good ol' days...

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

"A Guy Named Steve" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

If it came out right, it should be in a magazine. ;)

Gotta love 400+ CI motors. I hear ya about the other things that need money, especially when there's the "other half" to consider. Hope things are good on that front as well..

Reply to
Joe

It's good to hear things are going well for you. We live at the other end of the County now but with the 234 Bypass completed it is a short drive to Quantico from here. Let me know when you get back into town and I'll feed you again and/or we can hit DC and do the tourist thing. The weather here has been very warm this winter so sight seeing is a pleasant experience. Unfortunately my Mustang is laid up in the garage. I think it was down and out the last time I saw you.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

That's all those smoggy old Mustangs making the weather warm....

Reply to
WindsorFox

Unfortunately, my Mustang hasn't contributed to the global warming effort for about two years.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I've got your back. Two times over.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

The good old days...

According to Google, you were "born" on August 11, 1997 in a post to the Seattle Mariners newsgroup.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I appreciate that. Although when I did have it running I was lucky to get more than 100 miles to a tank of gas after the blower was installed. Maybe I built up a reserve to keep my torch alive for the last two years.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Interesting. I was sure it was 1996. But I just found the Auto Trader ad for my 71GS455 when I bought it. I thought it was April 1997 but it was April 1998. I was on Usenet prior to buying that car as it was Anthony who I was on the phone to a few days after purchase when the alternator died on the way to the drag races that Easter. So I had known him before.

Thanks for confirming my failing memory...

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Yep, it was keeping space in the garage. I think the place I'll be staying is up in Dumfries, although I have no idea what I'll have available as far as time goes - so I don't want to commit to anything at this point.

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Here's my first every RAMFM post:

From: SEEverist - view profile Date: Sun, Aug 17 1997 12:00 am Email: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (SEEverist) Groups: rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang Not yet rated Rating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

You can also check on the mustangs to see if they've been damaged by looking for VIN tags. Look on the underside of the doors, trunk (hatch), hood. Also on the fenders on the inside with the hood open and inside the trunk (hatch) on the body panels. Also on the nose cap. Ford put decals with the VIN number attached. If the car was damaged, there is usually a DOT tag without the vin numbers, or the originals have been painted over. Not many people would know to remove them and reattach them after bodywork was done.

Steve

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

DAMN! That's bonus EPA points. I'll never complain about my 12 to 15mpg any more.

:()

Reply to
dwight

It has faded quite a bit but is hanging on, I think, largely due to the newer Mustangs' continued popularity.

Maybe the overall grand total, but I doubt any of the current monthly totals for the last 5-6 years. Most times now I only get time to post a new topic once in a while and then maybe read a few of the replies -- I don't do much back and forth banter anymore. Though my nest is now empty, work/commuting, school, gym time and home projects have sucked up just about all my "disposable" time.

I rarely see any clean Foxes anymore. Most seem to be either neglected basket cases or abused former hacked-up street racers. In my neck of the woods, to see a straight, clean, mostly original 5-oh is pretty rare.

I know. There are so many nice [used] alternatives these days; most making the old Foxes' 225 HP look pretty tame.

A 90's hatch with only 50K miles?!? Can they still be found? I thought those days were long past.

To me the web-based is too dry and sterile. USENET is much more spontaneous and free.

Didn't he get out of the Navy?

I doubt he'd want to talk to me. We clashed pretty hard before he checked out of RAMFM. While he was a nice guy, and I enjoyed talking to him, (we had traded some old car ads/articles) at the end he drove me crazy because he was so down on any/everything that wasn't his latest and greatest project. Last I knew he had plans for a Miata he had bought.

Good to see you're still around! I wondered where you had gone.

I'm still in the same place. If you ever come around these parts you know you're welcome to take the Cobra for a spin.

Patrick '93 Cobra (still looking pretty darn good after 120K miles)

Reply to
NoOption5L