Rattling coming from front of '94 mustang GT conv

I have a 94 Mustang GT, and I have this very loud rattling coming from the front of the car. It sounds like it's from the wheels or suspension. I can hear it through both windows, and it does not occure if I am braking. Mostly just when I go over any bumps or cracks in the road.

Any idea what it could be? I just got my front brake rotors and pads replaced, as well as the tires rotated, and it seems louder then ever. Although it was doing it before.

Reply to
toade

Something's loose. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

It's the calipers, or the pads inside the calipers. Take them back to whoever did them and get them to do it right.

Reply to
.boB

Who did it? I am 99% sure it's the pads & calipers. Tell them to make SURE they put the anti-rattle clips back on when they installed the new pads.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Ford installed them. Any chance it can be something else? I have had that rattle on and off for about as long as I have had the car... but it seems to be worse now.

If I kick the front tire hard, I can slightly here it. I'll give them a call tomrorow and see if they can fix it.

Reply to
toade

It's possible you never had the anti-rattle clips & now you need them.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

I think I'd check to see if the wheels are on tight too!

| > > Any idea what it could be? I just got my front brake rotors and pads | > > replaced, as well as the tires rotated, and it seems louder then ever. | > > Although it was doing it before. | > >

| > It's the calipers, or the pads inside the | > calipers. Take them back to whoever did them and get | > them to do it right. | >

| > -- | > .boB | > 1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged! | > 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92 | > 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver | > 1966 FFR Cobra - Ongoing project | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Did the raddle clips come with the car? Could they have fallen off? Do they usually put no ones on, if they aren't there, or is it a part that has to be ordered.

Reply to
toade

They are small sheet metal spring shims that keep the pads from rattling. The dealer should have them on hand as while they aren't replaced all the time, they do occasionally rust or get damaged. I'll probably need at least one new one next time I do the rear brakes.

Reply to
Brent P

Did you buy the car new? They don't fall out.. until you've done work on the brakes & didn't put them back properly. They do not come with new brake pads... but they are available at auto parts stores as part of a kit (Autozone) for $20 for my car. I believe we have the same brakes.. but I could be wrong. Anyway... they are called 'anti-rattle clips'.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

I need 4 new rotors & all new pads =(. ...and the anti-rattle clips =(.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

While the rear rotors were fine, the slide pins were siezed in the bracket so I had to get new brackets and pins.

Reply to
Brent P

That happened to my rear brake.. driver's side. Replaced it already heh.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Why? Are yours damaged or have you had them turned several times?

Kate

| > They are small sheet metal spring shims that keep the pads from rattling. | > The dealer should have them on hand as while they aren't replaced all the | > time, they do occasionally rust or get damaged. I'll probably need at | > least one new one next time I do the rear brakes. | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

They've been turned as much as they can be. They are at the minimum required width. Next time I replace pads... time to replace rotors too =(.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Dang Mike, how many miles ya got on that thing? I've only had to do my brakes once and I have almost 69k on the clock now.

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate
123,000 roughly.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

,
Reply to
<memset

Hello again Mike.

That's a goodly amount of mileage, but I guess it's an all-season car; you live down South somewhere as I recall. That's not bad for a set of rotors. Are you still on the original clutch?? You've added a few goodies since I last read your sig, I see.

I checked into the Flowmaster 40s, and found what you said - nice rip and idle, but "drone city". I've gotten tired of that from my old turbos, so I think I'm going to go with 50 series, in part to add to the sleeper profile my 67 has. Just looks restored, and no emblems. I win more stoplight derbies due to uncertainty on the other's part than I do while chirping third.

H> 123,000 roughly.

Reply to
Wound Up

Hiya!

Couple things... nothin major. I had a new clutch put in.. just a factory clutch from Ford. Didn't want to opt for a cheapie from O'Reilly or Autozone. Didn't know the quality of them. This clutch grabs real good... so I'm pleased.

Hahaha... nice (a/b 67). Yeah... 40's are droning my ears out, but I like it. I'm sure I'll eventually grow tired of it, but I'm still in love with them. I don't drive the car much these days... I fire her up once every other day usually. She racked up most of the miles by me visiting my now ex-girlfriend Rachel when she lived 70 miles away from me (school)... I would drive up & see her everyday just about... so that was 140 miles per day... maybe 6 days per week. You can see how it added up so fast. I put about 300-400 miles on her per month these days. I need to change the oil tomorrow... and adjust the clutch cable.... but all in all.. she's really runnin pretty good. Put in a new ignition wireset & she's ready to rock.

I'll 2nd that... Christmas was far worse than Thanksgiving... but I'm just so happy it's all over. Holiday season brings out the worst in me every damn year.. and it only gets worse.

So how are things on your end of the world?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Your best bet, I'm sure. I put cheapies in beaters, but opt for factory or quality aftermarket (e.g., Centerforce) with cars I care about. I have a stock 93 Cobra clutch in my Mustang, actually. I run a Tremec. A parts distributor had them on sale at the time (??). No problems at all.

I figure it saves gas, wear and potential tickets if people don't even try! :) The ricer dorks always want to ram their POS's up my arse though. What a stupid move... I see a lot of them with the front corners smashed in. "I gotta cut in and out as closely as possible to be cool". Idiots.

I liked my muffler-shop turbos for a long while, too... know what you mean. Still ok except for 1900-2200 (about 40-45 in 4th, 57-67 mph in

5th). I end up using more revs because of it. Oh well, better throttle response.

I don't drive the car much these days... I fire her up once every

Good God, no kidding! I had a GF 90 miles away for a year at school ... years ago, and I needn't ask your motivation. But long-distance relationships are difficult. My trips were made in a 77 Plymouth Volare wagon, and in a viciously patrolled double-nickle zone. I actually miss that old wagon. ;)

I put

They're good for a lot more reliable miles than they used to be. I knew someone with 196k on her 88 5.0, but she'd gone through two heater cores and two sets of window motors, then gave up entirely. It still sold within a day.

It's the exact same deal with me. Everything seems to get chaotic and awful in that week. I get nuttier and more agitated than usual. I start hearing Christmas songs, and it's like, "here we go again". I have come to dread my birthday, not because I care about my age, but because it's on Dec. 30.

Boring and cold, but ok. I'm waiting for the next project to come along, presently collecting unemployment and freezing my nads off (it's been hovering between 5 and 15 for days now). I have been playing a lot of Gran Turismo. My last project ended a month ago, and GOD do I hate it when there isn't "something next". Of course, end-of-year doldrums hit in the job market.

Good to chat again. Hope it's warmer where you are.

Wound Up