Re: 2 Questions Please

My 90 GT is nearing 94,000 miles, and I was wondering at what point I

> should consider having the timing chain replaced. > It runs good, and I don't drive it hard, but I also realize these things > don't really affect the chain's wear. > Also, I've always pondered the notion of upgrading my cam, but have > avoided it because there is so much exact science involved. > Besides, from what I read, there are very few options for those of us > with AODs. > If my main goal was low-end torque, am I best off sticking with my stock > cam and my 1.7 rockers, or is there a decent cam for my needs? My car is > for cruising, but I'm always open to more bang for the buck. > Thanks all for any input.

A ford timing chain either lasts forever or explodes early. Pretty unpredictable. I remove on from a '76 302 with over 100K miles on it that still looked pretty good. Personally, I replace them if I'm in there. Otherwise I don't worry about them. It's not like a timing belt on a rice burner. As for the cam, there are plenty of good choice for your application. They used to be called "RV" cams, designed for low rpm torque. Call the tech line or peruse the catalogs of any of the top companies for good suggestions. But, if it were my car, I wouldn't bother. Upgrading the cam without changing heads/intake seems like a waste of time and money. The right heads and intake on the stock cam will net you 400hp. Even changing the rocker arms won't get you enough to make it worth while unless you've got the right parts to take advantage of it.

Reply to
.boB

I had the timing chain skip teeth in my '78 Mustang which had a '76 302 from a Cobra II. The cam sprocket was plastic coated, I guess to keep it quiet, and had wore down allowing the chain to slip. A dual roller and an electric fuel pump got me back on the road in a few days. The '90 GT does not have this plastic sprocket and the chain shouldn't wear too bad. I wouldn't worry about changing it unless you open the engine for a rebuild or another reason.

Reply to
Mike King

Why? Do it when you rebuild the engine...

A cam in a stock engine is a waist of time and money...

2 cents.

Serge

Reply to
Serge

I can see from some of the replies that I should have gone into better detail on what I have done so far. I have, in fact, upgraded to Edelbrock upper/lower intake, throttle body, and aluminum heads. I have a larger mass air meter too, and the appropriate larger injectors and fuel pump to balance things out. I can see the consensus is that I need not worry about the timing chain. However, I hope this additional info helps for input about my cam interest. Thanks again.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte