Re: 2000 Mustang GT - HP enhancement questions

Welcome! A K&N filter is a popular choice but will not do much in the performance category by itself. I would recommmend a C&L MAF system (cnlperformance.com) It replaces everything up to the throttle body, including an open air K&N. Check out the prices on ebay though because you can get one way cheaper than the $400 C&l is asking. I have one on my 94 gt and it works great. As far as throttle bodies, I recommend checking ebay again if you are okay with that idea. I got a three month old 65 mm for my gt for $75 compared to $200 retail. They make a slight to decent difference (I would say 5-10 hp at the absolute most, all at mid to high rpm's). It firmed up the gas pedal wayyyy too much for my liking though, I do not know if they all do this though. Just make sure to disconnect your battery before the install so the computer resets itself and you should be fine with no tuning problems.

Looking to increase the horespower on my GT through the use of bolt-on > accessories. My limited research indicates that a K&N air filter > would be a good first step. > > I have three questions for the group. I have seen references to > replacing the stock throttle body with a larger diameter throttle body > in the fuel intake. What would this do in the way of an HP increase?, > what reasonable cost is involved? and any issues if this is done to > the car (any change in tuning, timing, etc.). > > 2000 Mustang GT (all stock), Black with grey cloth interior. Great > car! > > Thanks in advance for any responses to this question. > > Chuck
Reply to
Ross Ondrusek

Joe Cilinceon pretty much nailed it. the first thing you should look at in a 5-spd. car is a new shifter, the stock one sucks and there's only one remedy... replacement.

A set of gears is the best bang-for-the-buck acceleration mod you can do. Don't even think about anything less than 3.73 for your mod-motor Stang, any less is a waste of money and time. You'll also need to correct your speedo when you do this via a SpeedCal (for the 5-spd.) or a chip / computer reflash (AODE and 5-spd.).

Subframe connectors are a great way to help keep the power going to the ground and will greatly increase the overall chassis stiffness. The difference in handling characteristics are amazing with a good set of properly installed weld-in subs.

Offroad or or high-flow mid-pipes are a great way to release a few ponies and ft.-lbs. of torque, it's nearly criminal how restrictive the stock exhaust setups are. The mod-motors typically respond best to X style mid-pipe and straight-through mufflers.

Please don't waste your money on cold-air intakes, MAF's or a throttle body on an otherwise stock motor. The only thing you'll gain from those is a considerably lighter wallet. If you build your motor to the point it can actually benefit from increased-capacity induction, then take a look at them but for now, spend your money elsewhere.

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98