Re: 95 Coupe, odo and trip meter frozen. ???

Welcome to the club Paul. My 95 GT is doing the same exact thing. The speedo & tach work, but both the odo and trip are frozen. This happened to me about a month ago. I've opened up the cluster, tried to manually spin the trip and odo by hand to turn it a few miles, but that didn't help at all. My odo is frozen at 97K, and the trip at 0 as well. Than I noticed a small motor behind the cluster that appears to turn the odo & trips. I can only guess that it is fried. I've tried looking for used clusters on ebay with no success , so perhaps the best places to get one is stangparts.com or mustangguy if he has one...

Reply to
RioRedGT

at 06 Jul 2003, RioRedGT [ snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.comNOSPAM] wrote in news:B_ZNa.51098$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

Oh shit! Sounds like a likely possibility. I've seen clusters on eBay every now and then. But I hate to stick another cluster in as I would lose my aluminum gauge bezel as well as having problems with the odometer value. I wonder how hard it would be to replace that motor?

Thanks for the heads up. maybe it's something in the Tampa air causing this? ;-)

Reply to
Paul

at 06 Jul 2003, JS [ snipped-for-privacy@home.now] wrote in news:wE%Na.4605$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny03.gnilink.net:

Wonder how they ran the mileage up. If I do a swap, chances are the mileage will be lower. I'd like to get it to the correct value. But yeah, sure looks like it'll be easier to change the cluster than anything else...

Reply to
Paul

Being Ford, they might have a special tool to set the odometer or had the ability to order the proper mileage part.

Being you, if you wanted to raise the mileage a relatively simple way, you could probably do something like the following:

Install new gauge cluster Remove the VSS and gear assembly from transmission Using a dremel tool, connect the end of the VSS gear somehow to the dremel (duct tape even, it's only temporary) Turn the car's ignition on to power the VSS circuit, and turn the dremel on. Ensure speedometer moves. Figure out about how long the dremel must run at the current speed to get the correct mileage.

It'll render the car useless for a while, but if you only need to go up a couple thousand miles then you should be ok.

Otherwise, you may want to have a simple electronic circuit designed that simulates the VSS going about 140MPH and hook it to the cluster for a shorter period of time as the dremel won't go nearly as fast as that.

If I had a wiring diagram of the complete cluster and a sample of a VSS signal, I could make a circuit to rack up mileage.

You may also be able to take it to your Ford dealership and have them set the mileage after explaining what you're doing. They'll probably look at you funny though.

That's all the ideas I have.... sorry.

JS

Reply to
JS

Not a PITA if you get one of these, Paul. :-)

I bought one and it is installed using a set screw. SO easy...er, once you get the factory knob off. ;-)

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson