Re: About both SVT, 'Global' makeup and the Camaro

> This car will sell like hotcakes. I wouldn't change a thing. > > I think once you see it on the street, and it comes rumbling up behind > you with that smoking 400hp LS2 motor under the hood, that look of that > grill will change to mencing. > > Patrick

Do you suppose that GM would really release the V8 Camaro with 400 horses, or would they "tune it down" for mass production?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

What do you think I was saying?

Why didnt that smoke and fire commercial sell trans ams? Why didnt the TransAm Design sell transams?

I think I think Global and high level...

I think you like sharktooth appliques in grills of Mack Semi Tractors... now THAT is menacing! ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I AM assuming you DONT mean that if you get a v8 it will be 400hp.

They will put as many horses into the high PERF model as they need to to get a clear edge against the high side Mustang.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You don't like the looks of its grill.

Because that body style had tons of problems -- sloping windshield, cat hump, bathtub driving position, long doors, etc.

I say give that new Camaro time to grow on you. I didn't like the initial photos of the '99 Mustang with it's larger scoops, but once I saw it in person it looked okay. Same with the '87 GT.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Hi, dwight!

It'll match up with the top dog Mustang and Challenger so you can bank on around 400. Though I think the "official rating" will be 5 or 10 horses below the standard Vette... you know GM's rule, can't piss off the Vette owners.

I also think there are a lot of Chevy owners, who won't buy a Ford or Dodge, just waiting for a new Camaro.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1143258009.690348.115030 @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Tractors...

I just saw it in person last week at the auto show, and it's not good.

The side view is ok, but as BM says, the front is awful. Reminded me of a Cadillac that someone heavy sat on the front end and pushed it down. The rear looks like someone shaved off the top third of an older Camaro.

And if it's going to have a Corvette motor, the car will have to weigh much more than the Corvette.

Reply to
Joe

Hi, yo'self.

It wasn't that long ago that we were talking about niche marketing among the Big Three. Apparently, that was a bad idea, since the Big Three are getting smaller every day. Hell, Ford is desperate for a new Taurus, something they can sell a million of (not 50,000).

I'm afraid that this new Camaro, no matter what its HP rating is, won't repay GM's investment. Unlike the Mustang and Challenger, this Camaro prototype has a bit of a "controversial" look - either love it or hate it - and I don't see that helping.

Gasoline went up 22 cents last week for no apparent reason.

I don't know... I just don't see throngs of credit-worthy buyers lining up to buy this new Camaro. I hope I'm wrong; I hope it sells very well. I just don't see it. In the end, it may prove to the execs that American niche design is a losing proposition - that a global one-size-fits-all approach is the way to go.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Actually, I think just the opposite is true...if the underpinnings are made from an adaptable platform, being able to come up with appealing style for smaller markets is a strength, assuming it can be done in a cost-effective, don't-lose-money manner.

The previous Ford M> I hope I'm wrong; I hope it sells very well. I just

Reply to
Tony Alonso

It always seemed to me that Contour looked TOO MUCH like a Taurus.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

My daughter still drives my wife's old '99 Mercury Mystique. On the inside, it's actually quite nice! But, yes, a mini-Taurus...

:()

Reply to
dwight

Yeah, what's up with that?

While from a cost of production standpoint it maybe the way to go, as long as there is one manufacturer (and I don't care who) that is still catering to American design & tastes, they are going to get my business.

Is the new Mustang as big a hit in Europe & Asia as it is here?

Reply to
Zombywoof

"dwight" wrote

I dunno. I liked it. Especially the SVT version. Wish I could get my hands on one. All the reviews I read about it said it was more fun to drive than the Cobra.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

I'm sorry...

SAY WHAT?!? Did some paid automotive reviewer actually say that?

I'd have to see it to believe it.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote

I can't remember who wrote it, but I distinctly remember reading two separate reviews of the first SVT Contour which said that they'd rather drive the SVT Contour than the Cobra. Said it was simply more fun to drive and handled more nimbly. Obviously not the same power, but more fun for canyon carving and for trips. A Bimmer beater.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

I have driven a 1998 Contour with the peppy Duratech V-6 and a 5-speed and found it to a fun little car. I can imagine that the SVT version with better braking and handling would have been a very fun ride.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Trivia -- A google search on "Duratech engines" brings up Contour's as the very first hit.

Reply to
Zombywoof

at 26 Mar 2006, Michael Johnson, PE [ snipped-for-privacy@erols.com] wrote in news:Y8qdnYbwLOHPwrrZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I've driven what you could call it's predecessor. The euro equivalent of an SVT product. The Sierra (Euro eq. of the Tempo) Cosworth XR. Talk about seriously fun HP and handling. I believe for a short while these were imported and sold in the USA. Forgot what they were called, not Sierra though.

Reply to
Paul

Only from a marketing segment standpoint.

Mekur XR4Ti ? ? ?

Reply to
Brent P

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

And they bumped the engine specs too. Forged internals IIRC.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

I figured it would be "Taurus".

Reply to