Re: AOD trans question with 4.10 gear

I haven't experienced any of the problems you describe. With the change I had installed an electronic speedometer recalibration unit (

). This is a Canadian item but I believe there is an US equivalent called the Dallas Speed Calibrator. What I found was that the shift points are driven by RPM not MPH and as a consequence the shifts now occur at a lower MPH than before. For example the shift into overdrive is now at about 25 - 30 mph. Can't remember for sure but I think it used to be closer to 35 - 40 before the gear change.

Break-in procedure??

Reply to
Richard

This is the breakin they told me to do

All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 or 20 miles you must let the differential cool for 30-40 minutes before proceeding. Drive 500 easy miles before towing. Tow for very short distances (less than 15 miles) and let the differential cool before continuing during the first 45 towing miles. Change the gear oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set.

ANY OVERLOADING OR OVERHEATING CAN CAUSE THE GEAR OIL TO BREAKDOWN AND THE RING & PINION CAN FAIL

Reply to
vott

Well, after rebuilding an engine you should change the oil after cam break-in and it's a good idea to change it again after the first 500 miles or so, then go to normal 3,000 mile intervals. Sounds reasonable to me, though I'm not sure about all that driving then stopping stuff.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Driving and letting the differential cool was EXACTLY how the instructions said to break in my Richmond 3:55's in my car. I took their advise since they're the ones who built the gearset. Who would know better??

Steve

Reply to
Steve Marshall