Re: cheap performance mods

For starters it would help to know what the year/engine/trans etc. Also what are you planning to do with the car?

As for the $500 a month that was my goal when I started out last Jan setting my car up. Since then I've added much more than I though by simply shopping around. A list below of what is now on the car. I also tried to list them in the order of installation.

TriAx shifter (5 speed). Kenny Brown extreme sub frame connectors, strut tower brace and k member brace (since removed due to headers). MAC cold air intake w/ K&N filter Fin aluminum valve covers ( got cheap off of ebay)

3.73:1 rear gears with MAC girdle MAC long tube headers, pro chamber and cat back system. Goodyear Silicone hose kit. Kenny Brown upper and lower adjustable control arms. Aluminum Drive shaft Flaming River steering shaft

Things coming before end of this year. Tremec (have already just not installed), KB Trackit Plus (pan hard bar), Tubular K member with coil over,

4 to 5 lug conversion with good brakes. This with a few other small things will round out this year.

Next year will be an engine which has already been contracted for. I figured this as a 2 year project costing about $12K and will be close but more like $15K. Much of the stuff has been gotten from ebay saving a lot of money.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

oh yeah sorry about that ... just assummed that people remembered me and my car ...

It's a 2001 v6 Coupe - Automatic

I drive it everyday.....occasionally race on 95....esp. when a ricer tries to beat me ...

I have always wanted the '03 cobra, but my insurance is 300+ per month on that ... :-| so i thought maybe I should modify this one ..

another issue ... I hate the fact that i listened to my ex and bought an automatic ... if I sell the car, the blue book is 1000 less than what I owe...

is it worth converting it to a stick ? or just selling it and buying another stick ?

- SS

Reply to
Silver Stang

Thanks for the insite ... i have a 2001 v6 coupe - AODE

What I am confused about is ... .I want a stick ... selling this car is a loss ... around 2000 ... converting to stick is about 2000 ... buying a faster means higher insurance ...

Reply to
Silver Stang

I can't help much with the auto to stick since I've never owned an automatic. Guess you could call me a control freak when it comes to my car. |;-)

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

It is worth driving UNMODIFIED until you are no longer upside down on the loan and then sell the car and buy what you WANT.

People who want a used 6 cylinder stang are not the types who want a modified car that has had the crap kicked out of it (Their perception, true or not)

Since you are not happy with the automatic, it is not worth putting anything more into this car except gas and oil.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Check my 'Cheap Homebrew Mods' on the website. Some are quite interesting.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

I was in CA last week and I rented a convertible Mustang - V6/auto. Didn't like that auto at all. I can see why you don't like it. The engine was OK, but the tranny was awful. I was considering that combo for my '66, but now I'm not. Conversion to a 5 speed will cost you about $1,000 for all the right (used) parts. But it won't increase resale value at all. It would probably decrease it's value. I wouldn't do anything to it. I'd wait until financial conditions are better, then trade it in.

Reply to
.boB

thanks for the advice bob ... I'm prolly gonna do that ....

Reply to
Silver Stang

yeah I'm amazed by that site ... good work...

interesting.

Reply to
Silver Stang