Re: Focus nearly as fast as a Mustang GT?

** this wasn't the svt version and you had trouble keeping up ??? I think ** the next model down has a 2.0 liter 4 banger with about 120 ** horses...You're kidding right ?

It wasn't the SVT version; it had the 2.3L 144-HP engine and an automatic transmission. The thing only weighs 2606 lbs, and off the line with the 146 ft. lbs. of torque, it flat-out FLEW. I was not expecting this from what I consider to be a low-end econobox. Around town, it's a HOOT. At highway speeds, there was no torque to speak of. The last time I was surprised like this was when I rented a Chevy Minivan with a turbo charged V-6.

If she will let me drive it again, I'll time the 0-60. (doubtful - she found out that I was out hot-rodding it; when I returned, the front brakes and tires were still smoking a bit.)

I just thought it was funny that a $14.95/day Focus rental would pique my interest like that. It's SO incredibly ugly, yet performs exceptionally well. The steering is crisp, the ride amazingly good for such a tiny little weeniermobile, and the off-the-line acceleration was something that actually surprised the hell out of me.

The Engine:

The Specs:

*

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** I plan on getting a used Focus when my $500 89 escort dies. I got it a year ** and 1/2 ago, but it keeps on going.

I'll probably do the same when my Beater Car dies. My old Chevy Celebrity gets better mileage is much bigger, but it's a slug to say the least, and it's ugly as sin. I'd give it another year or so before it croaks; hell, I may even sell it off before then, since I've put so much money into it.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

it. That's what V8 power is all about!

I can't help it... I think thats the funniest thing I've heard today!!

Reply to
Mustang_66

*>

Reply to
Michael Seeley

I would drop the GT into third at 70mph...and with the stock gears, I could almost drop it into 2nd.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

SUBJECT: MUSTANG NEARLY AS SLOW AS A FOCUS!

Reply to
winze

wtf? Why do you hafta be a halfass retard on every single one of your posts? Damn you're annoying dude.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

well it could be said either way!

Focus nearly as fast as Mustang!

Mustang nearly as slow as focus!

I say bring back an updated pushrod 5.0, 350 N/A horsepower should be easy with room left for improvement.

Dick/halfass retard/sniper/MF

Reply to
winze

I getcha. I thought you were just talking trash about Mustangs... saying they were slow. Sorry. Normally you are annoying on your posts, but you've had a few informative ones. I misread what you wrote in this case though. My apologies.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset