Re: Gearset change prices

That's friggin ridiculous. I paid my local Ford dealer around 230 for labor to install 4:10's in the 97 Cobra I had. Paid roughly 130.00 for the gears from gefracing.com.

I've called around & >it's gonna cost about $450 labor + whatever gears cost to get 3.73's put in >my 98 Mustang GT

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I paid $400, that included rebuilding the posi unit, new Ford Racing gear set, all new bearings thru out, correcting the speedo. He also changed the engine oil and filter as well as trans fluid and brake fluids at this time.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Labour was CDN$347.50 . (approx. US$250.00). Speedo Recalibrator Labour was CDN$69.59 (approx. US$50). Parts were more expensive though. Gears were CDN$395.00 + shipping in $13.50. Gears were by "Motive Gear Performance".

Reply to
Richard

Dang... the local ford dealership charges close to $1k for a new clutch + labor, so I didn't even bother to call them about a gearswap. I guess I'll give them a call... couldn't hurt I suppose. Thanks, folks. I appreciate the feedback. I thought it was ridiculous at first too, but that's what EVERYBODY charges (except Ford... I haven't called them yet b/c I figured they'd charge more). Thx & cya.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

I charge a flat $325 labor for a gear, excluding any hardware. Count about $100 for bearings, seals and Mobil synthetics...A FMS gear is $299.

All these prices are in Canadian funds...

Reply to
Serge

"Richard" wrote in news:jSbUa.510252$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.calgary.shaw.ca:

I'm getting gears put in next week here in Calgary at Western Motor Sports.

Their gear kit (Ford Racing gears, pinion nut, crush sleeve, pinion shims, pinion bearing, Mobil 1 Synthetic and a speedo gear) was 359cdn.

They are charging me $280cdn to install everything.

I'm curious, what is that speedo recalibrator labour all about? The installation of the speedo gear?

Darren

Reply to
Pheare

"Richard" wrote in news:NyfUa.512339$3C2.13607292 @news3.calgary.shaw.ca:

Hmmm. Guess we will see. The shop doing the install specializes in Ford performance, would think they'd know if there was an issue. But like you said, who knows.

Darren.

Reply to
Pheare

This REALLY sucks that I hafta pay way more than anyone else :/ Again... anybody know of any place cheaper than $450 LABOR + parts + fluids, etc in the Arkansas/USA area? Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

Well, I'm in N. Central Missouri. I think your simply getting messed with. Not sure what the book calls for but even at 50/hr I DOUBT the book calls for more than 4 hours for a gear R&R. It's a pretty straightforward swap for a dealer service department. I even had to have a new pinion bearing and with that, lube and a bottle of friction modifier it was 230 and some change. FYI.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Man... this sucks.. lol I'll go take my car outta state & have the gears swapped lol. Not. Wish the prices were lower though. *sigh* Guess that's life!

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc