Re: GT350 or 300?

66 6F HCS wrote: wrote As far as there being 352 ci GT350's, they weren't FE's. They were the 4 x 3.5 "351" Windsors in the '69's and '70's. 4 x 3.5 x 3.142 x 8 = 351.9 ci.

Yes, yes, technically you are correct, however, I was speaking of the common nomenclature, not the EXACT displacement. If I wanted to be exact, I would say I have a 392.9 Windsor in my '69. Although that would just confuse most people.

Indeed it would. This common frame of reference is more practically important than demonstrating a solid grasp of arithmetic and PI functions, so thank you for pointing this out.

Using this, and rounding up or down one cubic inch of displacement, for identification purposes, however it may be mathmetically derived, means the difference between "Windsor" and "FE" in this case, which of course is the most important distiction of all. Therefore, this simplistic mathematical differentiation becomes completely worthless.

Similarly, the 301.9 aka 302 is a technically a 4.9, and not a 5.0. But, it's known as the 5.0 by millions, and therfore this engine is incorrectly referred to as the 4.9. When I hear "4.9 Ford", I think, "300 ci six banger". And I think everyone else does, too.

This comes from having worked at parts stores for years, and from putting hours in working on both of them as well. "Give me a water pump for a 1985 4.9 Ford" means something totally different than "give me a water pump for a 1985 5.0 Ford". My friend with the broken-down Bronco can tell you what it meant to him on a July day in Missouri.

It basically comes down to contrived knowledge versus actual knowledge.

Please excuse my long-windedness, but I needed to make this point excruciatingly clear for newbies. Being around RAMFM since early 1996, I've learned there is really not much you can take for granted in terms of technical acumen in this group.

Reply to
Wound Up