Re: Hemi Challenger

"Les Benn" wrote in news:gnyKi.129859$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.phx:

> [...]

This remains to be seen. And some still don't believe the Challenger will see production, but I hope they're wrong. Bottom line, the Challenger isn't competing with the GT500.

I love competition!! > There goes GM with the new Camaro last to market and butt ugly too.

I'll give you that.

Reply to
Joe

Doh! I totally spaced on this thread - what I saw was a bright red Hemi Charger, not a Challenger.

But doesn't the Challenger look remarkably like the old Barracuda?

/daytripper '05 hemi durango

Reply to
daytripper

I'm not at all worried about a N/A Charger/Challenger blowing the doors off of a GT500. That engine in the GT500 is just a $25 blower pulley away from 600+ hp. Then if that isn't enough there is always the option of a Kenne Bell twin screw blower that will get you 800+ hp. Chrysler doesn't have a Hemi in anything they sell currently, or planned, that has a snowball's chance in hell of overpowering a blown 5.4L, 32-valve V-8 of the type that is in the GT500. It is basically the Ford GT engine with an iron block and a Roots blower instead of a twinscrew. I will say that Ford definitely knows how to build a supercharged V-8 that is extremely reliable and can put out some outrageous horsepower numbers with a few inexpensive tweaks and without even removing the valve covers.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

So did the original challenger. It was a bit longer than the Cuda if I rember correctly. They would have likely made the new car a 'Cuda if they hadn't killed Plymouth.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

lol a measly 5.4L Ford engine (probably out of a lawnboy mower) even with a blower will be a dog compared to a Hemi Challenger with the new 6.1L Hemi Challenger and besides Ford can only build about 30 of the GT500 Shelbys a year. Dodge will eat them for lunch in sales. How many guys/gals do you know that are willing to buy a GT500 for 22K dealer markup over the 47K sticker? Mustang is all decoration. Dodge will rule again with the Hemi.Well at least There will be lots of mustangs on Dodge used car lots in 2008.

Reply to
Les Benn

Do your homework before posting. If you did you would know the engine in the GT500 is choked from the factory. Ford had to detune it and put a Roots blower on it (instead of a twinscrew) to keep the horsepower at

500. With a $25 pulley swap it is capable of close to 600 hp. With a decent tune there is even more power to be had.

The sad fact is you can get only so much power from a street driven 6.1L N/A engine unless you can somehow change the atmospheric pressure of the Earth. With a blown engine this is no longer a limitation. You do know there is very little difference in displacement between 5.4 liters and

6.1 liters? If 5.4 liters is measly then 6.1 liters is just a little above measly. You are comparing a 376 cubic inch engine to a 333 cubic inch engine. I'll take 333 cubic inches with a blower any day over 376 cubic inches naturally aspirated.

Ford is selling every GT500 it makes. I wish they made more to keep the price down. It seems there are plenty of buyers at current prices. I won't be one of them though. If the Challenger is priced right and delivers good performance it will sell. However, if you think a naturally aspirated Hemi of any variety will out power a GT500 engine then you are going to be disappointed. Unless, of course, you know how to increase the atmospheric pressure of the Earth in the vicinity of that Challenger. Even then, the pressure increase would have to effect only the Challenger and not the GT500 running against it otherwise there is no advantage gained. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

If you want to drive a car with a Mexican So-Called "Hemi" LMFAO engine, have at it, I'll stick with the good old made-in-the USA Ford engine, thank you very much.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

If you're still using the GT500 as a comparison I'd say you're under an incorrect assumption, especially if the 6 litre is as disappointing as the the 5 litre hemi.

Reply to
WindsorFox

WindsorFox wrote in news:RKVKi.310170$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.lga:

So WF, tell us how either of the current Hemi engines are "disappointing".

BTW, if you're simply rounding up the 4.7 Hemi to 5 liters and rounding down the 6.1 to 6, why not just round down the Ford 5.4 to 5 liters as well? Or why not call the Mustang 4.6 a "5 liter"?

Reply to
Joe

Round whatever the hell you want, your Mexican Hemi, no matter the displacement can't hold a candle to Fords 32 valve supercharged 5.4 liter. Period...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

I don't have any reason to reply to any of his posts, but someone should inform him that the smaller hemi is not 4.7 litres and doesn't hold a candle to a Nissan 5 litre either, even without a blower.

Reply to
WindsorFox

You mean rounding down the 5.7L. The Chrysler 4.7L OHC isn't labelled as a Hemi.

Reply to
Vaughn

Oh, you're just being a slanderous bastard.

I like the new Hemi. But I don't see how you've come to this conclusion. The 6.1 SRTs only run about 108 in the 1/4. The GT500s run an easy 110. (And do we want to add the GT500KRs and KR Super Snakes?) Or are you betting because the Challenger is going to be a 2- door that it'll be lighter. I say don't bet on it. I think we'll be lucky if it's south of 3,900.

You're just a little bit off. Total production for the 2007 GT500's came to 10,844 units with 8,150 of those being coupes and 2,694 being convertibles. If only you would have added 2 more zeros and then about 7,000 to your number, you would have been right there.

And you think you're going to get a Challenger for anything close to sticker the first year? Rrrrrriiiiiggggghhhhttttttt....lol

It is, if you first remove the 500 HP motor.

Dodge will be lucky if it's still alive in 5 years. (And Ford is hardly in any better shape.) I say we should be extremely happy they're even making the Challenger and GT500/Mustang.

Considering the Mustang hasn't missed a model year since '64, I'll stay in the Champ's corner. What's our Challenger's history, again?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

No kidding?

That surprises the hell out of me. It's absolutely amazing that dealers are able to ask (and receive) so much "blue sky" on these cars, with those numbers. It must be the "Shelby" emblem bringing in all the folks that P.T. Barnum told us about. :)

/raising glass/ Here's to the possibility that '08 will have as many produced.

John C. (MSRP...or bust) '03 Cobra (improved)

Reply to
John C.

You sound a little bitter.

Brad

1993 SVT
Reply to
BradandBrooks

Hehe, I suppose I do.

Nah,... just a little disappointed. :( I'll live. The market is what it is.

I can't blame the dealers. As long as folks will pay the premium, might as well maximize profits.

-- John C. '03 Cobra (improved)

Reply to
John C.

WindsorFox wrote in news:9YeLi.63403$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe13.lga:

Typical responses from these jerks.

Ask a simple question without implciation, get back bullshit. I should've known better.

Reply to
Joe

I suppose it costs a dealer less to let a GT500 sit and age on his lot than he would lose by selling it at a reasonable markup. Someone will come along with more dollars than sense and drive it away at some ridiculous price, happy as a clam. One Ford store near me has a black-with-dark-gray-stripes version (I like it a lot) with one of those +$22,000 stickers on it. Been there since May. That's a long time for any kind of product to be on the shelf. When do you suppose the "best-by" date might be? Sooner or later the pool of

+dollars -sense buyers must run dry?
Reply to
Frank ess

Heh, I'll take that old Cobra off his hands for $12K so he can go get one of those new GT500s :oD

Reply to
WindsorFox

IMHO the 5 litre hemi is over rated, under powered and drinks gas like a dragster. I think that if they had used newer technology with OHC and such. Yes it has 40% more power than the Magnum in my Ram did, but gets worse mileage. A two door Dodge Ram Rumble Bee with the 345 HP hemi has loses by at least 2/3 of the length of my Titan against it's four doors and supposedly 305 HP and I get better mileage. Now I looked a some of the differences between the 5 and 6 litre hemis and without knowing it's real world mileage I'll say it's far more satisfying. However, at least one difference is something that *we* would do after market and replaces the cast manifolds with stainless tube headers. Also it's still OHV.

Reply to
WindsorFox