Re: Mustang GT and Snow.

Hi all,

> I am moving from Atlanta, GA to Minneapolis, MN. I drive a '98 GT >Conv and have a few questions about its driveability in snow. I know >that it snows a lot in Minnesota so my question is do I have to get >rid of it and get a 4X4 or can I use the car with snow tires and >stuff. My car is standard and not auto. I love my car too much to get >rid of it... so thinking of alternatives. > The other question is I have 17" wheels on my car and I heard >from people that for snow driving the smaller the tire size the >better.... so was wondering if can I buy 16" rims and use >corresponding tires for winter and then for summer use my regular rims >and tires. > Any information and suggestions that can be provided are really >appreciated. >Thanks

People from the south crack me up...

NO, you cannot drive your rear wheel dirve convertible sports car in the snow, especcially not in the 2 feet of snow in Minnesota.

Get a four wheel drive for the winter months( 10 months long), and keep the mustang to drive in the summers (2 months long)!

Matt

89 5.0 GT Vert Cleveland, OH - Our motto is "If you don't like the weather..wait 10 minutes, it'll change"
Reply to
Matt

I'm in northern Illinois. The Mustang is horrible in snow, but I know people who swear that Blizzarks make a huge difference.

We got by last year by using the Mustang very little, but now we have a third car, so this winter the Mustang will be stored.

Reply to
Anonymous

I live north of Boston, in a town with hills and a fair amount of snow. I get by with my '98 GT in the winter by keeping a set of four snow tires (on separate wheels), and swapping over twice a year.

For snow, the height of the tire is not critical, but the width is: narrower tires exert more pressure on snow and tend to dig down better to the pavement.

I have 245/45ZR17s for fun, and 215/60QR16 Blizzaks for snow. The difference in tire height means that my speedo reads slower than actual speed by ~3% with the snows on.

Snows on the rear help you get started. Snows on the front help you get stopped and help you turn. If you like all three capabilities, then get snows F&R.

A Mustang with snows will probably suffice for moderate driving around ManyApples and its suburbs. But, if you plan on winter trips to the boonies, or to the tundra north of ManyApples, then a Mustang may provide more excitement than you want.

Reply to
Bob WIllard

snipped-for-privacy@someemailaddress.notcom wrote in news:38qdhv0m1k53dmf231kl389ljp7d5qt815 @4ax.com:

If there is 2 feet of snow on the roads, you won't be getting anywhere fast in any vehicle.

You certainly can drive your rear wheel drive convertible sports car in the snow. Good snow tires are a must though.

No, it won't work as well as a 4x4 or a fwd with snow tires, but it certainly can be done, and is done every winter by thousands of mustang drivers.

Darren.

Reply to
Pheare

A good set of snow tires will suffice for winter driving. I live in Saskatchewan and we get as much as or more snow than Minneapolis does on average and we still get around using the same vehicles we do in summer. A

4x4 is nice just after a snowfall but your average car will work just as well if it has a good set of snow tires and an open diff. A closed diff. makes it really hard to keep in a straight line. Also, as some people mentioned already, a narrower tire does help cut through the snow and get a little traction on ice.

Just my 2 cents.

Kirk

Reply to
Mulatz

Chris1 opined in news:

facetious SYLLABICATION: fa·ce·tious ADJECTIVE: Playfully jocular; humorous: facetious remarks. ETYMOLOGY: French facétieux, from facétie, jest, from Latin factia, from factus, witty.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I've had a horrible experience last winter here in maryland .. I was stranded for 5 days ...I have a stock v6 ... maybe snow tires would have helped ... but frankly speaking ... its a rear wheal drive ... and no matter what you do, you will experience difficulties ... I am the slowest and always the last car in the winter .... during summer, the cops are usually chasing me so you can see the difference.. I would not move just for my stang ... :-D but if you have to ...then take it with you, try it in the winter with snow tires and chains and other equipment ... if it doesn't work out, buy another car and keep hte stang for the summer ....

btw, are u desi ?

- SS

Reply to
Silver Stang

The key thought in Chris's message is that winter tires make all the difference. Technique has little to do with it. I struggled through five winters on Firestone SZ50s, every winter waiting at least once for the AAA tow truck to get me home. In fresh snow, the front tires don't roll; they just plow until the accumulation is too much for the drive tires, which takes only a few feet. It might be the tread pattern, but I think it's more likely that the the tire compound is just too slick in the cold temps. Blizzaks are good; the difference is night and day in the snow.

Reply to
MikeWhy