Re: Mustang's Neat New Ad

What do people here think about bringing back a version of "Have you

>driven a Ford... Lately?"

I prefer "there's a Ford in your future."

:)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

This new Corba Corn field Ad is outstanding. That car is my next car ... because McQueen is in the Ad. WOW !!!!!

Reply to
Bakewell

This new Corba Corn field Ad is outstanding. That car is my next car ... because McQueen is in the Ad. WOW !!!!!

Reply to
Bakewell

Am I the only one who thought it was stupid to have McQueen in an ad for anything other than the Bullitt?

bill Car: '64.5 Mustang: 260 V8, 3 sp, factory a/c, SVO cam, Performer intake, Holley 390 cfm carb, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust manifolds, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq Thrust D's

Guns: Colt AR15, Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill

I have to agree with you - it would have been great in 2001 when the Bullitt came out to have a commercial like that - McQueen getting behind the seat of a Bullitt, and maybe jumping a hill or 2 in San Fran.

Reply to
RowdyRebel

You are arguing semantics. "Bullit" vs. "Mustang GT"? Kinda like seeing the ad as "wrong" or in your words, "stupid" because the Mustang in the movie was a different color than the one in the ad... or different year... or cubic inches or whatever.

Reply to
Scotter

I'm guessing this is a response to my post? Next time quote the text you respond to, proper netiquette and all.

Anyway..., no, it's not semantics at all. Steve McQueen starred in "Bullitt"

36 years ago. Ford decided that a "Bullitt" Mustang would be a big seller regardless of the Mustang GT because of the popularity of the movie, car and character among Mustang aficionados.

IMO the color, year or cubic inches doesn't matter. Is it heresy to admit that I never liked Highland Green? To me the whole issue is the actual car model. While there had never been a Bullitt Mustang before, Steve McQueen was _the_ person to introduce it.

Would you still consider it semantics if they CGed Steve McQueen into an ad/trailer for Saving Private Ryan or Pear Harbor just because he was in another war flick, The Great Escape?

Just my $.02.

It still amazes me that Ford totally flubbed the opportunity to have done this type of ad for the Bullitt. It is a pretty cool ad though. I'm sure I'm not the only guy who wishes he had enough money for his own track to play on.

bill Car: '64.5 Mustang: 260 V8, 3 sp, factory a/c, SVO cam, Performer intake, Holley 390 cfm carb, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust manifolds, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq Thrust D's

Guns: Colt AR15, Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill

You may both be right, but the 05 Mustang... doesn't it look a lot more like the car he drove in the movie than the 04 Bullitt?

Maybe it's just me.

Love the commercial, would never give the keys over to McQueen.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

But he was "in character". That was Lt. Frank Bullitt.

Some Bullitt trivia:

Two Mustangs and two Dodge Chargers were used for the famous chase scene. Both Mustangs were owned by the Ford Motor Company and part of a promotional loan agreement with Warner Brothers. The cars were modified for the high-speed chase by veteran auto racer Max Balchowsky. Stunt coordinator Carey Loftin got Bud Ekins to drive the Mustang for the bulk of the stunts. Both of the Dodges were junked after the filming, as was one of the Mustangs. The other less banged-up Mustang was purchased by a WB employee after all production and post-production was completed. The car ended up in New Jersey a few years later, where Steve McQueen attempted to buy it. The owner refused to sell, and the car now sits in a barn and has not been driven in many years.

Bill S., that's up in your neighborhood. That would be a nice find!

Reply to
John

"John" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

The last link goes on about where the car is now. Interesting stuff.

Joe

I, for one, really dig the new Cornfield commercial. I think the ad agency did a great job merging the legend of the Mustang, Steve McQueen and the movie 'Field of Dreams'. I think it's a great idea! I think it's silly to suggest the car in the commerical should have been green as in 'Bullitt'. McQueen's image was taken from that movie, but the commercial is not about that movie, it's about the 'Field of Dreams' concept and to have a green car in a green cornfield doesn't make for good visuals on TV.

I also found the website of David Stuart, the actor who stars in the commercial opposite Steve McQueen. He has a copy of the spot on his site...

gqgumshoe