Re: Naptime for the snake...

My stang will be taking an extended nap soon. Once I find a new beater She's gonna be stripped down and that lil 4cylinder removed for a 5.0 =)

Reply to
John Wiebalk

oh mannn... that's sad!

Maybe I don't want to leave california...

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Kate,

Tennessee shouldn't be nearly as bad. I'm sure the annual snowfall there is much less than that of SW PA... and even that isn't much compared to some places. They have a tendency to salt the hell out of everything here though, and if you want anything to last, it's undercoated regularly or just put away for the winters.

I spent what little amount of daylight there was Saturday changing the oil and detailling the engine compartment, washing the door jambs and trunk area out... then Sunday I spent scrubbing the little dots of tar off of the thing. I wanted to wax it too before it went away but I didn't have the daylight available. It'll have to be done in the garage. Luckily I got it put away last night though, as this morning's 55 degrees and sunny turned to

30 degrees and snow by midday. The beast is resting safely under shelter...

It is sad, but come spring, I'll feel like I have a new car all over again, and after months of driving Probezilla around (quick in its own right and handles as good), I'll crawl back into my snake, fire it up, grin at the sound of 305 horses ready to stretch their legs, and wonder how I survived driving my winter beater the whole time.

JS

Reply to
JS

Quite nicely put. Heheh... I wish I had 305 horses ;)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Thanks. Putting the beast away for the winter is always a sad time. The crotch rocket gets to go away next... didn't have time to put them both in shelter yet and the Cobra won as far as which is the more priviledged.

Some day you just might have 305+hp. I bought the car about a year and a half ago, and probably not two months before that, I was drooling over one just like it, thinking I'd never end up with a car that nice.

Dreams sometimes come true and sometimes the improbable becomes likely. Work hard, you never know what will happen.

JS

Reply to
JS

I'm really wanting to muscle up my 98 Mustang GT. I mean just the name "Cobra" is so nice, but I can't afford the insurance & I would learn more by building up my 98 GT. I imagine it would be a sad time... I never put away my GT... she's always running for me. I can't afford a beater car right now... not with x-mas coming up & saving up for a diamond ring. We don't have a lot of snow here though...just cold weather. Do you happen to have any pics of your car (preferably non-egged pictures)? I'd love to see 'em... I bet it's a real beast =). Take it easy, JS.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I don't have any pictures online since I put the Konig Villian wheels on, but maybe I'll upload some at work tomorrow (they're on my work laptop) I do have pictures from when I first got it at...

There are also bad pics of my brother's old '01 Cobra and my '97 side by side. I'm the kid in the white shirt, leaning on the shiny red one.

I've had a few Mustangs and Capris... maybe I'll dedicate an album to pictures of Mustangs past...

Thanks for the interest. As for building up your GT... either go the blower route or the head swap route, but probably not both unless you do something to the bottom end. It wouldn't take much work to get your car running as fast as mine in the quarter or even 0-60 because the '96-98 Cobras were lacking in bottom end torque pretty badly. They scream up top but they're a little bit sluggish down low. New GTs are faster 0-60 than my Cobra according to Ford's numbers, and lose in the quarter to my car by a tenth or slightly more. If you do the PI head swap, you should be running as strong or stronger than me (13.87 @ 100.7 in 95*F heat in Pittsburgh).

I did consistently beat my brother's 320hp Cobra though. ;-) This all goes back to learning to drive the car as in the thread down some with Joe....

Good luck with it... you'll do fine. Good luck on the wedding and all as well. I finally found a girl that I think I could spend a long time with, perhaps the rest of my life, but she's young yet.... just started college (and I'm almost 26).. so to protect both of our interests, I'm giving her plenty of time. Congratulations man, and I hope that 'happily ever after' applies to you.

JS

Reply to
JS

I imagine I will learn a little of this feeling.. I hope not quite as well as you.

*little voices whisper in my head* I'm worried about driving her across the country and parking her at hotels and then having to rent a place with *GULP* no garage for her at night. And possible hail storms... she'll be so vulnerable! Oh lord, now I'll never get any sleep.

*common sense speaks*

Once we get a house, everything will be fine. Good lord.. .it's just a CAR for cryin out loud! Chances are no one will touch it.

*little voices whispering...* but.. but.. but... she's my BABY!!!!

Kate

| > Maybe I don't want to leave california... | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Geeze... you ARE a kid! LOL

Kate

| > -Mike | >

| > > Some day you just might have 305+hp. I bought the car about a year and | a | > > half ago, and probably not two months before that, I was drooling over | one | > > just like it, thinking I'd never end up with a car that nice. | > >

| > > Dreams sometimes come true and sometimes the improbable becomes likely. | > > Work hard, you never know what will happen. | > >

| > > JS | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

hmm if your going through oklahoma maybe you you should be worrying about a random tornado =) Course its not tornado season yet. =)

Reply to
Jon Eyman

hey 2.3 - It sounds like Kate will need some Texas 6pt beer when she gets here. Not that I bring illegal beer across state lines. hehe

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

now thats a plan!

Reply to
Jon Eyman

Wow those are some beautiful cars! Whew!

i would like to do the headswap & supercharge her.. but I heard a lot of things regarding compression issues.. any options to fix this problem?

Thanks for the good wishes concerning the wedding & what not. We've been going out for a little over 15 months now... she's definitely the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. I'm glad you found a girl that you love too.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

yup... sorry... I was 24 in that picture. I'm almost 26 now... but yea, still a punk kid with a Cobra. :-)

JS

priviledged.

Reply to
JS

Hate to say it, but I think I like your bro's old car better... :)

Don't get me wrong, yours is sweet too, but I just love that mineral gray, and there is just something special about a nice looking 'vert.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Ah, no offense taken, Garth. I liked it a little better too, but I didn't really want a Cobra convertible. Just preference I suppose, but I could take a GT convertible, but I'd rather have a Cobra coupe. You're right, the Mineral Gray is a great color and the vert is nice. There's a GT the same colors around town and it's beautiful.

He's long since sold the car though... his girlfriend (whom he met only because she was interested in the car and wanted to know if it was a real Cobra) made him sell it for something more family oriented.... while she was allowed to keep her V6 5-speed Camaro.

He was quite upset when I beat him at the strip... lol. "I have 15 more horsepower!" Yup... ya do... but ya lost. ;-)

JS

Reply to
JS

For YOUR particular car, what RPM do you like to shift at ..at each gear? I usually shift at 5600-5700 RPM but I need to experiment more.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

The early DOHC cars make all of their power up top, and they redline at 6800 RPM, so when I'm hitting on it, that's where you'll find me.. somewhere between 6600 and 7000 RPM. Still pulls strong through that area. Obviously I don't drive it like that every day though.

JS

Reply to
JS

Mike,

Thanks for the compliment on the cars. I need to assemble a group of pictures of old Mustangs I've owned and put them up too at some point.

I don't know how to remedy the compression ratio problem. The way I see it, you have a couple of options, and some of them probably aren't the best.

You may be able to get a thicker head gasket, thus increasing the distance between the piston and the head, causing a bigger hole with the piston at TDC and less compression. There may be a provision to grind some of the combustion chamber down to create a bigger hole. This might have a negative impact on power if done incorrectly though. The other is to do it right and swap the pistons for a dished design (and forged while you're in there). Obviously the third is most expensive but will help if you intend to make serious power - put a forged rotating assembly in there and balance it and you should be good to go up to 600-700 HP on your stock block and PI heads.

It's a great thing knowing you found someone that you want to spend all of your time with, but there are still times when I question what she really wants out of the relationship... *sigh* You'll have that though. I just take things one day at a time.

JS

priviledged.

Reply to
JS